Apple Dumpling Pastry Recipe
This Apple Dumpling Pastry is made with puff pastry strips wrapped around a 3 minute microwaved whole apple that has been peeled, cored and filled with brown sugar, cinnamon, currents and chopped pecans. The pastry is brushed with an egg wash and baked in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes. The pastry turns into a beautifully golden fall apple shaped pastry. No sauce here but a scoop of cinnamon vanilla ice cream and drizzle of caramel sauce would be a great accompaniment.
Recipe was inspired and adapted from Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry.
- ½ package-17.3 ounce package Puff Pastry Sheets-thawed
- 4 Golden Delicious Apples- peeled & partially cored
- 1-cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup pecans, chopped fine
- ¼ cup currents, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Garnish: Cinnamon Vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 9 x 13” baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Peel and partially core apples, leave bottom of inside core of apple intact.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll peeled apple in sugar mixture.
- Place on microwave safe plate and microwave for 3 minutes on high.
- Remove from microwave and roll apple in mixture again.
- Add to remaining sugar cinnamon mixture chopped pecans & currents.
- Fill core of apples with pecan sugar mixture.
- Drizzle apples with melted butter. Place in freezer for 5 -7 minutes before wrapping with pastry.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the pastry sheet into a 10x9-inch rectangle.
- Cut into 9 (1x10-inch) strips. Press the ends of 2 pastry strips together to make 1 (1x20-inch) strip. Repeat with 6 of the remaining pastry strips.
- Cut 8 leaf shapes and stems from the last pastry strip.
- Starting at the bottom of the apple, wind 1 pastry strip around 1 apple, slightly overlapping the edges of the pastry.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry strips and apples.
- Garnish each apple with 2 pastry leaves and stem.
- Whisk together egg and water for egg wash. Brush the pastries with the egg wash
- Place the pastries on baking sheet.
- Bake 25 -30 minutes until pastries are golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream and caramel sauce.