Peppermint and Ice Cream go together like Winter and Snowflakes. Although crushed candy canes added to home made French Vanilla ice cream makes a great refreshing dessert for Holiday entertaining. This recipe is made with half n half, whipping cream, egg yolks, sugar, peppermint extract and crushed candy canes.
Candy Cane Peppermint Ice Cream
French vanilla ice cream is the base for this recipe with added peppermint extract and crushed candy canes. Perfect dessert served with hot fudge sauce and small cookie.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: one hour + 16 hours chill/freeze
- Yield: 16-1/2 cup servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
8 egg yolks-room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2- 1/2 cups half and half
2-1/2 cups whipping cream
3 teaspoons peppermint extract
1 teaspoon vanilla or creme bouquet extract
5-6 drops red food coloring or more to desired pink
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup crushed candy canes + 2 tablespoons reserved for garnish
- In mixing bowl with wire whip attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar until well blended and slightly thickened for 1 minute.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat half and half until steamy but not boiling, stir often. While half and half is still warm, slowly add to sides of mixing bowl with eggs and sugar. Mix mixture on low speed # 2 until mixture is blended.
- Pour this mixture back into saucepan, cook over medium heat until small bubbles form on sides of pan. Do not boil and stir constantly. Transfer this mixture into a large 8 cup large bowl.
- Add whipping cream, extracts, food coloring, and salt to the 8 cup large bowl. Stir to blend, cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. ( Do not add candy canes to this mixture at this time).
- Assemble and engage freeze bowl, dasher and drive as directed by ice cream maker instructions. Turn speed to low or speed 1, slowly pour chilled ice cream liquid into ice cream maker, continue to stir 10-15 minutes as the ice cream thickens into desired consistency.
- Spoon soft churned ice cream into freezing container. Stir in crushed candy canes to this mixture and stir gently by hand to blend. Freeze peppermint ice cream in this airtight container until ready to serve at least 2 hours.
To serve: Scoop ice cream into small decorative dishes, with or without hot fudge topping and crushed candy canes as a garnish.
- I used Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Maker and adapted the French Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe to make the Peppermint Ice Cream. I love this attachment for making home made ice cream any time of the year. Store the freezer bowl in your freezer to keep handy for making home made ice cream.
- Do not boil half n half or whipping cream.. it will scorch/burn in pan and create unpleasant flavor in ice cream.
- Best to beat egg yolks at room temperature.
- Use leftover egg whites for meringues or pavlova.
You Might Like these Dessert Ideas too!