Create cute Chocolate “Candy Ant” cupcakes for your next picnic or birthday party. Chocolate cupcakes are decorated with buttercream frosting and candy ants. The ants are made with three almond M & M’s with piped black frosting legs and antenna. Chocolate Candy Ant Cupcakes are perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July, any kind of fun holiday.
Check out the Memorial Day Pond Side Picnic for more fun ideas for a quick picnic.
Chocolate “Candy Ant” Cupcakes
Dark Chocolate moist cupcakes are frosted with vanilla buttercream and decorated with Almond M & M’s to resemble picnic- ants.
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
- 1-15.25 ounce package dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1-3 ounce package chocolate instant pudding and pie mix-dry
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup mini chocolate morsels
- 1-teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups vanilla butter cream frosting
- 72 Peanut M & M’s separated into colors by 3
- 1 cup dark chocolate butter cream frosting
- ½ cup white jimmies or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare cupcake pans with liners.
- Combine all ingredients except frosting. Beat batter for 2 minutes to blend. Fill plastic zip lock bag with batter, clip end of bag to ¼ “. Pipe batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake cakes 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool to touch.
- Frost with vanilla buttercream frosting. Roll edges of cupcake into white sprinkles.
To make Candy Ants:
Fill small zip lock baggie with chocolate frosting. Clip 1/8″ along one side of baggie with scissors or use a disposable piping bag with tip # 2. Place three Peanut M & M’s in a single line. Pipe three legs on each side of middle of ant candy using dark chocolate frosting. Pipe feelers on head to complete ant.
Hint: Avoid sitting these cupcakes in full sun, the chocolate will soften and bleed on frosting if cupcakes get warm.