Nothing is better than chocolate with peppermint and this festive cake has both! Chocolate Peppermint Candy Cane Cake is a vanilla cake with peppermint swirl baked inside the cake. Decorated with buttercream frosting, Whipped cream, crushed peppermints and Old Fashioned Chocolate Dipped Candy Sticks makes this festive little three layer cake a show stopper. Simple and easy to make this Chocolate Peppermint Candy Cane Cake will be another holiday favorite!
Chocolate Peppermint Candy Cane Cake
Small 6 ” round three layer cake is baked with French Vanilla Cake with a peppermint center cake. The cakes are stacked and frosted with Buttercream frosting. Garnish cake with Old Fashioned Chocolate covered peppermint sticks on the sides of the cake and fresh whipped cream with crushed peppermints on the top of the cake.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1-18.25 ounce package French Vanilla White cake mix
- 1-3 ounce package vanilla instant pudding & pie mix
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 -1/3 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies-garnish
- 30+ Old Fashioned Chocolate Covered Peppermint Sticks-garnish
- Tip # 1M ( Wilton cake decorating tip)
- Disposable piping bag
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 cup butter, softened- tested Land a Lakes
1 teaspoon clear vanilla or creme bouquet extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 tablespoons half n half or cream
Whip butter and confectioners sugar together, add extracts and cream until frosting is smooth and creamy.
Heavy Whipped Cream- (Top of Cake)
2 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla or creme bouquet extract * can also use peppermint extract
In large mixing bowl with wire whisk, whip chilled whipping cream with confectioner’s sugar until soft peaks, add extracts and beat until stronger peaks form. Frost cake as directed. Note: This cake will need to be kept in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 6″ round cake pans, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, add cake mix, pudding mix, egg whites, water and oil. Beat on low speed.
- Separate batter into a 1-1/2 cups and place in a separate bowl. To this mixture add the food coloring and extract. Stir to combine, set aside.(reserved)
- Pour remaining 3 cups white cake batter between the two prepared 6″ round cake pans. ( 1-1/2 cups per pan).
- Add reserved peppermint batter to the third prepared 6″ round cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until center is done.
- Remove from oven and invert onto cooling rack.
- Frost with thin layer of buttercream frosting between cake layers.
- Add another layer of buttercream to sides and top of cake, attach peppermint sticks to sides of cake, peppermint end around top of cake.
- Whip the fresh whipped cream, using tip 1 M pipe a rim of whipped cream on top of cake, keep swirling in circular motion to cover and mound the cream in the center. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy canes.
Old Fashioned Candy Sticks can be found at Walmart/candy shops.
This cake can be frozen. Peppermint sticks found at Walmart/candy shops.