Lemon Cooler Cookies
Lemon Cooler Cookies are coated with confectioners sugar and filled with lemon zest and fresh lemon juice. Like a Mexican Wedding Cake but lighter and rich with lemon flavor. Perfect for summer entertaining. Serve it up sassy on a pretty platter along a tall glass of southern sweet tea with lemon.
Lemon Coolers are a long standing recipe as a light summer cookie. I use this recipe for easy entertaining for it is quick to put together and usually will have the ingredients on hand. It is a rich butter cookie but sweetened with lemon juice and confectioners sugar. The confectioners sugar can get messy but it is worth the powdery cloud with each bite.
Hint: After cookies come out of the oven, while warm, use a small sifter to sift cookies with confectioners sugar. Allow to cool and sift again. No mess if you leave the cookies on the tray and not pick up to dip into sugar.
Hint: Use a 1 inch cookie scoop for consistent cookie sizes. Roll into balls and place on baking sheet. Flatten each cookie with a lightly greased back of measuring cup. These cookies are a flat cookie. Baked and rolled in powdered sugar. They are very lemony, light and wonderful.
Make a batch today. They are easy and very good. You will love them!
Yield: 36 cookies
- 1-cup butter, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Confectioner's Sugar, Sifted to coat
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Beat at medium speed with a mixer until creamy.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon extract, and egg, beating until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine.
- Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls or using a one inch scoop scoop cookies.
- Place dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Using a flat-bottomed measuring cup dipped in sugar, flatten dough to a ¼-inch thickness.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool on pans for 5 minutes.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar over the cookies while warm on the cookie tray.
- Lift parchment paper with cookies onto counter to reuse baking sheet.
- After cookies have cooled completely, sift with confectioners’ sugar a second time.
Other Desserts are Lemon Pound Cake baked two different ways, as a whole cake and in loaf pan served with Coconut Lemonade. This was featured in VIP SEEN magazine for July.