Lemon Tea Cookies
Lemon Tea Cookies are delicate buttery sandwiched cookies filled with a lemon butter filling and dusted with confectioners sugar. Lemon juice and zest are two ingredients that make this shortbread cookie recipe the most amazing little sandwich cookie the family favorite. Lemon is a wonderful citrus flavor that makes your taste buds twinge and your eyes water when you take in too much at one time, but in a cookie this pop of lemon flavor is tamed with a buttery lemon filling. The filling is made with granulated sugar, egg, lemon juice and zest. It is more like a lemon curd instead of a frosting. Of course if don’t want to make your own lemon curd, you could fill the sandwich cookie with Dickinson’s Lemon Curd.
Lemon Tea Cookies|Cookie Instructions
Hint: Combine egg and lemon juice together to blend, then strain through a sieve to remove any egg album , then add to saucepan with sugar. Cook this until thickened.
Hint: You know your curd is ready with you stir your batch with a wooden spoon and when you run your finger through the center of the back of the spoon that has been coated with the warm mixture forms a solid line. After this add the zest and the butter. Your lemon curd will be smooth and lovely.
Yield: 3 dozen sandwich cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus 2 more cups for rolling
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 heaping tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Butter Lemon Filling
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter- Land O Lakes tested
- Butter Lemon Filling:
- In small one cup measure mix lemon juice and egg, stir to combine.
- Pour mixture through a sieve to strain mixture.
- Place mixture in saucepan, add sugar cook until thickened stirring constantly.
- When mixture forms a coat on the back of wooden spoon, add lemon zest and butter.
- Stir to combine.
- Set aside to cool or place in refrigerator to chill.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, lemon zest and juice, beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Add flour and salt, beat until combined.
- Using a 1 inch teaspoon or scoop scoop dough into balls.
- Place on baking sheets and flatten slightly with fingers or back of measuring cup.
- Bake for 8 minutes until firm.
- Let cookies cool before filling with cooled filled.
- Spread half of cookies with filling.
- Top with remaining cookie half.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar to serve.
- Can be frozen without the filling.
- Fill before serving for best results.
Serve these cookies are a pretty white plate and sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar. Have the recipe handy, you will get requests.
This recipe was given to my by my friend Sharon Neuhaus who was always sharing ideas and recipes with me. Sharon moved to heaven in February 2017 following a brief terminal illness. Thank you sweet Sharon for this recipe.