A reuben is a long, braided loaf of quick rise bread stuffed with thinly sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese, drained sour kraut and Thousand Island dressing. Fall comfort food that you can make in less than 60 minutes. It is delicious and beautiful!
Reuben Loaf Recipe
Reuben Loaf Recipe
- Yield: 14" loaf- 6-8 servings
- 3 ¼ cups all purpose flour-divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package Fleischmann’s rapid rise yeast
- 1 cup hot water (125-130 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup thousand island dressing
- 6 ounces thinly sliced corned beef
- 8 thin slices of swiss cheese
- 1 -32 ounces or 2 pounds of shredded sour kraut, well drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons caraway seed, optional
- Heat one cup of water in microwave for 45 seconds. Using a baking thermonter, insure temperature registers between 125-130 degrees.
- Set aside 1 cup flour. In large bowl, mix remaining flour, sugar, salt and rapid rise yeast. Stir in hot water and butter. Mix to make a soft dough. On floured surface, knead 4 minutes.
- With 1 cup flour that you set aside, sprinkle heavily the counter surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 14 x 10 inch rectangle. If dough resists, let it rest a moment, then reroll.
- Spread dressing down center of dough, keeping dressing in the center and not to edges.
- Drain sour kraut and squeeze dry. Set aside. Layer beef, cheese and sour kraut onto center of dough. Leave 2 inches all around dough edges free of meat, cheese and kraut.
- Measure down 2 inches from the top and up 2 inches from the bottom of the dough on both sides of filling. Cut 1 inch wide strips along both sides of dough between the 2 inch initial cuts.
Fold over the 2 inch ends then alternating 1 inch cut strips across loaf filling at an angle to create a braided loaf.
Make an egg white wash, paint loaf with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake on parchment lined double baking sheet at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm, then refrigerate if you have leftovers.