With a dash of cinnamon or a sprinkle of sugar, the apple is the favored fruit for fall. Would you like to smell the aroma of nutmeg, cinnamon and apples baking in your kitchen? This Caramel Apple Pie is the ultimate comfort food for fall or anytime you want a sweet apple pie.Print
Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
5 medium granny smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 unbaked pie crusts*
8 tablespoons butter- divided
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed, light or dark
2 teaspoons corn syrup
1 cup chopped walnuts-optional
1 teaspoon sea salt-divided
*tested Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
- In 10 “ cast iron skillet, over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Stir caramel mixture together until smooth and bubbly around the edges of the skillet.
- Add walnuts stir to combine. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add apples, flour, sugar, and spices, mix to coat apples.
- Unroll one crust and place on top of caramel –walnut mixture in skillet. Pushing the crust up the sides of the skillet.
- Add coated apples and 2 tablespoons of butter diced into small pieces.
- Unroll remaining crust and place over the apple pie filing.
- Pinch and crimp both crust edges together.
- Brush top of crust with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake pie on a parchment lined baking sheet for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce if desired.