How to make a standing Pork Crown Roast is easy with the help of a butcher.
Need an inexpensive but impressive roast for the holidays? Try a Pork Crown Roast with standing ribs and paper frills. Not to worry it is pretty simple to roast but the key lies with your butcher. You will have to order the roast well in advance of the dinner for they are not readily available.
A crown roast if cut right has a beautiful presentation. Your butcher will need to french the bones and remove the chine. French-ing the bones just means removing the meat from the top 3-4 inches of the bone ends. This will make the meat easier to shape and tie into a crown shape or standing circle. A chine bone is the connective tissue or back bone that supports the ribs.
Tell the butcher how many you want to serve to determine the number of ribs you will need. For this recipe, I used a 6 pound, 10 bones roast. It will yield 10 servings.
You will also need a large baking pan with a V-Rack.
Here is my butcher cutting the loin. ( Warning” it is graphic)
Billy Keys Food City Meat Department- Butcher
This is the loin with 10 ribs and chine bone removed.
This is the butcher cutting each section so it can be shaped into the crown shape.
The butcher is creating a whole for the kitchen twine to be pulled thorough.
Once the twine is pulled through then the loin will take it’s shape. I added more twine when I was preparing this dish.. the roast needed more support at the base.
Pull the twine tight to create the curve and standing ribs.
Serving the Roast:
Baked New Potatoes in center of crown roast paper frilled covered bones.
Here’s the Recipe: How to Make a Pork Crown RoastPrint
Standing Pork Crown Roast
- Have your butcher french your pork roast bones. Rib ends are scraped clean of all meat, fat, and sinew. The ribs are then formed into a circle or crown shape and sewn together with butcher’s twine, so it stands up. I like to add paper frills to the ends after baking for a pretty presentation.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: Main Course-Meat
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh marjoram or thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-6 lb) crown roast of pork, rib ends frenched
- 1– 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 stick butter, melted
To Make Potatoes
10 -12 Small New Red Potatoes
Salt and Pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
To Make Gravy-Sauce
- 1 –1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 F. degrees.
- Put oven rack in lower third of oven.
- Stir together sage, marjoram, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then rub over outside and bottom of roast. Place roast with ribs standing upside down in a roasting pan with V rack. Coat roast with melted butter. Add chicken broth to pan.
- Bake roast in lower third of oven after 30 minutes of baking, add additional broth or water to pan if pan becomes dry. Turn down oven to 300 F. and continue baking for 2- 1/2 hours.
- Insert thermometer 2 inches into center of meat (do not touch bones) to check internal temperature. When roast registers 155 F the roast is done. ( Video said 140 degrees.. I meant 155)
- Roast will take about 2 1/2 hours. Allow roast to rest 25-30 minutes before carving.
- Transfer roast to serving platter, tent with foil until ready to serve.
- Add paper frills to bones and roasted new potatoes to center of crown roast if desired right before serving.
- Serve gravy as a side.
Baking New Potatoes: Toss potatoes with olive oil, salt, rosemary in a zip lock bag to coat potatoes. Place potatoes on baking sheet, bake 45-60 minutes or until done.
In large saucepan, transfer pan juices from roasting pan without the fat. Add chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Mix cornstarch and cold water in small cup to blend, add to simmering broth, add kitchen bouquet, spices and butter. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Stir until creamy and smooth.
- Bake new potatoes at the 1-1/2 hour roasting time of pork. Potatoes take 45 -60 minutes to bake.
- Using an instant read thermometer will be very helpful to you if you have one.
- You can mix herbs/spices or rub together about 2 hours prior to baking as well as rub onto roast. Chill covered in refrigerator until baking time.
- Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before baking.
Garnish with fresh kale leaves, cherry tomatoes around the base of the roast if desired.
To Make Paper Frills:
- For each Frill, cut 8 x 4″ rectangle form sheet of white paper with scissors. Fold each rectangle in half lengthwise, fold in half again.
- Unfold the last fold to show crease.
- Make cuts close together along remaining folded edge with scissors, cut just to crease. Make cuts along entire length of rectangle.
- Unfold paper, turn over and fold in half lengthwise.
- Roll uncut edge of paper around index finger, allowing enough space for meat bone.
- Secure end of frill with tape.
- Place on ends of bones right before serving.
Frill instructions by Miscellaneous Garnishes. 1994
For gravy, new potatoes and kale recipe go to food- main dishes or Holidays Thanksgiving
Daytime Tri-Cities Cooking Segment (2013) Prepping the roast
How to make Paper Frills
Side Dishes you might like to try: