Crusty on the outside but soft on the inside round loaf filled with olive relish, cheese and meats.Print
Muffaletta Sandwich Recipe
Stuffed Italian round bread is hollowed and filled with meat and cheese with special olive relish. Sliders, large loaf sandwich or wraps makes a great make-a-head hearty sandwich.
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 1 large round Italian loaf of bread or Hawaiian sweet bread round loaf
- 1– 1/2 cups olive relish
- 10 thin provolone cheese slices
- 10 slices hard salami
- 10 thin Swiss cheese slices
- 1/2 pound black forest ham, sliced thin
- 1/2 pound peppered turkey, sliced thin
- 1 cup Spanish olives, drained and chopped
- 1 cup black olives, drained and chopped
- 1 cup pickled vegetables, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut upper third of round loaf in half. Hollow out top and bottom of loaves to make a pocket. Reserve bread pieces for other recipes.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of olive relish into bottom loaf, then 1/4 cup inside top loaf.
- In bottom loaf, layer cheese and other ingredients in order listed above.
- After turkey slice, repeat with provolone cheese, then go backwards with turkey, ham, Swiss cheese, and end with hard salami if desired.
- Place lid of sandwich on top of round loaf.
- Wrap entire sandwich in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Slice into wedges to serve.
To make a wrap: Same ingredients, except for cheese and tortilla wrap. I used a cheddar/mozzarella cheese stick in the middle of the tortilla wrap for added presentation when sliced in half. Spread relish on wrap, then layer ingredients and roll up. Also refrigerate until ready to serve.
Stacked Muffaletta Sliders