Chicken (poulet-izer) main dish served at a Mystery -Who Dun it-Cryptic Dinner Party. A hearty dish baked in individual crocks and topped with puff pastry crust. The dish is a glamorous chicken cordon blu pot pie with the chicken cooked in an instant pot.
Poulet-izer Surprise Recipe|Mystery Dinner
Served at a Cryptic Mystery Dinner. A hearty dish baked in individual crocks and topped with puff pastry crust. It’s like a chicken cordon blue pot pie.
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
1 rotisserie chicken or instant pot chicken
6 slices Swiss cheese
6 slices Black Forest Ham
8 tablespoons butter- no substitutes
2 cups chicken broth-divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrow root
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups cooked cheese tortellini
½ cup frozen peas & carrot combination-thawed and drained
2 cups thinly sliced potatoes-steamed
½ cup chopped, drained, tomatoes with basil, garlic, & oregano
1–17.3 ounce package Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
or 2 cups seasoned and buttered Panko bread crumbs.
1 egg + 2 teaspoons water for egg wash
- Prepare baking dish, butter 6 large ramekins, 3 ½ inch rounds or a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Peel, slice, and steam potatoes, set aside.
- Cook tortellini, set aside.
- Drain tomatoes and dice, set aside.
- Steam carrots and peas, set aside.
- Skin chicken and shred into small pieces or cube. Place chicken in large mixing bowl.
- Cut ham and cheese slices into 6-3 ½ inch rounds or leave whole for 9 x 13 dish.
- Cut Pastry into 6-3 ½ inch rounds or enough rounds to cover 9 x 13 dish.
- Prepare egg wash, set aside
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Mix one cup of chicken broth in a cup, then add arrowroot or cornstarch to dissolve. Pour this mixture into butter in saucepan. Stir to combine. Add heavy whipping cream, whisk until sauce is thickened. Add diced chicken to sauce. If you prefer you can dice the ham and mix with the chicken.
- Layer ingredients in baking dish in the following order, potato slices, carrots and peas, tortellini, tomatoes, cheese, ham, and the chicken white sauce.
- Place a pastry round on top of dish. Cut slits in crust for steam to escape. Lightly brush pastry with egg wash.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- You can cook your chicken in an instant pot with the chopped drained tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano for the best infused flavor, but if don’t have an instant pot purchase a rotisserie one.