A quick and easy way on how to make an insulated cake delivery box for all your cake needs! This easy and inexpensive DIY is the perfect answer .
I needed a big cooler to carry a three tiers of cake for a wedding. I was traveling over an hour and it was in the middle of August, as well as an outdoor wedding reception. With all of that in mind, I couldn’t find a cooler large enough so I made one. It worked perfectly!
Traveling Insulated Cake Box|DIY Materials
Select the boxes to fit your car space and cake space needed.
2- 18 x 18 x 24 inch Large cardboard packing boxes (Home Depot or Lowe’s)
2 -packages 3 /4 ” x 13 1/2 ” x 4 feet sheets of white panel-foam -(Home Depot ) $7.80 per package
4- 1 x 4 x 6 inch boards
8 closet maid wall clips
15 u-shaped nails
zip lock bags of ice or dry ice
Traveling Insulated Cake Box|DIY Instructions
- Cut styrofoam to fit the inside of your boxes.. to line the box, top bottom and sides.
- Tape cardboard box bottoms and line with thin sheet styrofoam insulation.
- Fill zip lock bags with ice cubes ( double line the bags) or use dry ice in package and place on bottom of lined boxes.
- Attach the 4 pieces of 1 x 4 x 6 inch wood pieces under all four sides of the baking racks vertically to create a stand. Attach the wood to the stand with u-shaped nails. ( I did not want the racks to sit directly on top of the ice packs, the cake would not be level during travel).
- Place baking racks in box over the ice packs. To keep the cakes in place, we attached to the cooling rack small wall clips from closet-maid shelving unit. It worked perfectly!
- Once boxes are lined are lined, cut a 1 inch rim around the top of the box, and then cut a piece of foam to fit over the top of the lined box. Keep the remaining card board box top, tape it together as one piece. You will use this to cover the box while traveling
Cover this cooler with an insulated cardboard lid and cover with a thick towel to keep the cold air inside the box. Worked great! Fit perfectly inside my car.