Chocolate Orange Finger Cookies are shortbread butter cookies shaped like pressed logs with one end of cookie dipped in dark chocolate. These are great dipping cookies and pretty packaged as gifts. These make -a- head cookies can be frozen after baking with out chocolate for up to three months.
Chocolate Orange Finger Cookie Recipe
Butter cookies piped into 2 ” strips with one end dipped in melted chocolate and rolled in finely ground pecans. For Christmas; sprinkle with colored sugars or candies instead of nuts.
- Yield: 55-60 cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
3/4 cups finely chopped pecans, optional
- Cream butter and sugar in large mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Add egg, zest and extract beat until blended.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stir until soft dough forms.
- Spoon mixture into pastry bag fitted with large star tip 6B.
- Pipe 2″ strips of dough placed 2 ” apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Chill cookies 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake cookies 8 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet before removing. Cool completely before dipping.
- Prepare chocolate coating: place chocolate chips and shortening in a small microwaveable cup or bowl. Microwave on medium power for 2 minutes, stir to melt. Add orange extract and stir to blend.
- Dip one end of cookie in chocolate then roll in nuts if desired. Place on parchment paper to harden. Store in air tight container.
Sweeten the season with this scratch-made treat. Chocolate Orange Fingers look like cookie press cookies but they are piped with a large shell tip 8B. Most of the cookies posted on this site are home-made recipes that I have baked and shared over the years with family and friends. Hope you like this recipe.. it is one of my family favorites. (gee’s I have a lot of family favorites)
Chocolate Orange Fingers
This recipe is quick to mix together. Start with room temperature butter not margarine for a delicious delicate flavor. Adding a bit of orange extract or grated orange rind makes this cookie everything you dreamed it would be. The flavors are not too sweet with a hint of orange. Using an 8 B piping tip to form these logs or fingers makes this cookie impressive.
Cookie Tip: Start with room temperature cookie dough in pressing these cookies. If the ends of the cookies are not so pretty, take your fingers and reshape the ends. Keep in mind that one end will be covered in chocolate after baking and cooled. If you want to coat both ends with chocolate that would make this cookie double delicious! Sometimes I will dip the chocolate in ground pecans to add more texture.
These cookies make a pretty food gift for Christmas and lovely on a cookie tray. Make a few extra so you will have some to enjoy with a cup of Chia tea.
Freeze these baked cookies with out chocolate for up to 3 months. Thaw right before serving and dip in melted chocolate.