Super moist carrot cake with crushed pineapple, chopped pecans, coconut, raisins, and baked in cream cheese filling baked in a large bundt pan. Cream cheese frosting dollops or swirls with candied carrot shreds garnish this cake beautifully.
4 large eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla + 1 teaspoon orange extract
1 cup vegetable oil
1–8 ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1–1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups raw grated carrots + 1 cup for garnish
1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweet or unsweet
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1 cup raisins
1–8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces softened cream cheese
1 tablespoon softened butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1–1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup shredded carrots, patted dry
2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger-optional
1.Preheat oven to 350F (175 C). Grease bundt pan with shortening and dust with flour. Set aside.
2. Shred carrots, separate 2 cups for batter, 1 cup for garnish.
3.In a large mixing bowl add sugars, eggs, oil and whisk to combine. Add pineapple and extracts, continue to whisk to blend.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger sift together. Add flour mixture to batter, whisk or use spatula to mix blend.
5. Add carrots, raisins, pecans, coconut to batter, stir to incorporate. Set aside while you prepare filling.
6.In medium mixing bowl, add 8 oz cream cheese and remaining ingredients for filling, stir to combine.
7. Fill prepared bundt pan with 3/4 cake batter, smooth top with rubber spatula. Spoon filling over the batter around the center ring. Cover filling with remaining batter. Smooth top of cake with spatula. With a knife, gently swirl the filling with the batter. Be careful not to over swirl less you create a muddy mess inside the baked cake. 3 to 4 swirls should be good.
8.Place pan on baking sheet for stability. Bake cake 60-75 minutes. Depending on your bundt pan size and oven temperature. Cake will be firm and slightly separate from edge of pan when done. Remove from oven, allow to cool 25-30 minutes upright before inverting onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
In bowl of an electric mixer, combine softened cream cheese and butter. Whip to cream together. Add vanilla and confectioners sugar. Whip until smooth and creamy. Do not add milk or cream to the frosting,* this is a stiffer frosting for piping dollops or swirls.
9. Fit a disposable piping bag with tip # 2 D or 1 M, fill bag with frosting. Pipe dollops on widest part of bundt design on top of the cake or as desired. Sprinkle with carrot garnish.
10. In medium bowl, add grated carrots pat dry with paper towel, add honey or maple syrup and spices. Toss with fork to combine. Line a small baking sheet with parchment and spread carrots over the paper. Try to separate the carrots as much as you can for even and quick baking. This is a sticky mess so don’t panic if you have carrot clumps. Bake in 350F oven for 5-7 minutes. Watch carefully as not to burn. Carrots will be partially dried out when done.Remove from oven and allow to cool. If they are not crisp enough to pick up, return to oven for a few more minutes. Once cool, sprinkle over the top of dollops on cake.
11. Slice and serve. Cake should be covered and stored in refrigerator.
* If you want to do a cream cheese glaze, add milk or cream to thin as desired for drizzling over cake.
Recipe can be made in 2-9″ round cake pans or standard cupcake pans, just use cupcake liners for the cupcakes as this recipe is very moist. Recipe will make 20-24 cupcakes, baking time 17-20 minutes. Baking time for 9″ round cakes would be 20-25 minutes.
Keywords: Carrot Cake,Cream Cheese Frosting, Bundt Pan, Cream Cheese Filling, Carrot Garnish, Pineapple, Raisins, Coconut, Pecans,