Love at First Bite… make a batch of Heart shaped butter cookies. Easy butter cookie recipe that bakes the shape of the heart shaped cookie cutter. Using a puzzle heart shaped cookie cutter makes the cookies look like pieces of a puzzle. Two heart halves into one.
Special Sentimental Messages in Frosting
Not only is the cookie shape intriguing, the messages can be personalized. Whatever special messages you want to send your valentine is totally up to you. My messages were simple to make sure I could read them and to fit on the cookies. I sent my cookies to my mother and father in-law inside a Valentine care package.
Also, you will frost each cookie separately with soft pink and hot pink tinted royal icing and dark pink buttercream to pipe the messages. Even though, these cookies have written messages but they would be super cute with just frosting and sprinkles.
Making the puzzle cookies
begins with the right recipe. You need a recipe that will not spread during baking. Here’s my favorite as the cookie will bake the shape you cut it.
Best Butter Cookie Recipe that holds it shape during baking.Print
Heart Shaped Puzzle Butter Cookie Recipe
Rich butter flavored cookies cut into puzzle shaped hearts using a special puzzle shaped cookie cutter. Frosted with royal icing and buttercream messages.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes + 90 minutes decorating
- Total Time: 2 hours including decor
- Yield: 4 dozen- 3" cookies
- Category: Dessert- Cookies
- Method: Baking/Decorating
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder-tested Rumford
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter (2sticks)-not margarine-tested: Land o Lakes salted
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- With a stand mixer prepare cookie dough, cream sugar and butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and flavoring.
- Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and add to butter mixture. Mix well.
- Divide dough in half and place between two sheets of parchment paper to roll into desired thickness, 1/8 to 1/2″. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Put the rolled dough including the parchment paper on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes or longer. Your dough will be chilled and ready to cut and bake with no wait and no added flour! Repeat the process with scraps after cutting cookies.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on rack.
When cookies are cool, frost with royal icing-meringue powder buttercream or your favorite buttercream frosting recipe.
Add food coloring gel to frosting to make the pink and dark pink coloring.
Tip: The thicker the rolled dough the more time needed to bake. I used 1/4″ thickness and heart shaped puzzle cookie cutter. The size of the cookie cutter will determine the yield amount.
Recipe adapted from Karen’s Cookies
Keywords: Heart Shaped Butter Cookie Recipe
Hope you enjoy this recipe. It takes a bit of time to create, but worth the effort.
Here is a pattern for you to download and copy if you opt not to purchase the special cutter. You will have to scale it to the size you want. There are three sizes. Recipe makes 4 dozen 3″ cookies. But you can make it your own. Make a Statement, Make is Sassy and Make it Yours! ™