Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe
Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe is made with bread flour, sour cream, icy cold shaved butter, baking powder and buttermilk. Cheddar Cheese and other herbs/spices can be added to this basic biscuit recipe by adjusting the amount of buttermilk. If the dough is too dry add more buttermilk, if it is to wet, add more bread flour. The bread flour along with the baking powder and pinch of baking soda makes these biscuits sky high. Delicious!
Additional biscuit/bread recipes will be available on new website launching October 2017.
Please check back soon! XOXO
Recipe inspired and adapted from Tupulo Honey
Add cheddar cheese and other spices/herbs to this basic recipe if desired. Adjust buttermilk if too dry or add flour if mixture is to wet.
Light, fluffy, great biscuits.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 stick butter, chilled and grated+ 2 tablespoons melted-set aside
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 -2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar-optional
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grate butter with large grater, place butter in freezer to harden for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, add bread flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar.
- Add sour cream to flour mixture.
- Add chilled butter to flour mixture using two knifes cut in butter until pea size meal.
- Add buttermilk and mix gently to form a ball.
- On floured surface, pat dough into a 1" thick circle.
- Cut 2" round biscuits with biscuit cutter.
- Place in cast iron skilled -biscuits touching each other.
- Bake 10 minutes , brush tops with 2 tablespoons melted butter, bake 5 more minutes or until golden brown.