Need a sweet breakfast roll for the holidays? Delicious Pecan Cinnamon Twist Sweet Rolls are full of cinnamon and toasted pecans. The main ingredients for this sweet roll is yeast, eggs, flour, sugar, melted butter, ground cinnamon. Dough is slightly sticky before rising but after the two hour rise it rolls beautifully with very little flour.
How to Make Pecan Cinnamon Twists
Shape yeast dough into 18 x 24 ” rectangle, filled with brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Cut the dough into 1-inch strips. Fold each strip in half, end to end and twist several times, place in lightly greased 9 x 13″ baking dish. Allow to rise about 45 minutes then bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until twists are light brown on the bottom. Remove from oven and cover with foil to keep warm while preparing the confectioner’s sugar glaze.
Making the Glaze for Pecan Cinnamon Twists
Mix 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, melted butter, milk and extract until smooth and creamy. Glaze will be thin for easy drizzling over twists. Remove foil from rolls and drizzle with glaze. Serve warm with cup of coffee, tea, hot cocoa or latte.
Bake a-Head and Freeze Cinnamon Twists
Yes, you can bake these rolls ahead, bake, cool then wrap with plastic and foil, freeze. Do not glaze before freezing. Glaze before serving. To warm thawed twists, cover with foil only in preheated 250 degree oven. Heat 10-15 minutes. Do not put in microwave, dough will harden too fast.
You will love these sweet rolls. Dough is versatile and can be shaped into shapes as in the Star Cinnamon Bread Recipe. It is a soft dough results of the 3 eggs and melted butter. Just be careful not to over knead this dough.
Recipe for Pecan Cinnamon Twist RollsPrint
Pecan Cinnamon Twist Sweet Rolls
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes + 2 hour rising
- Total Time: 3 + hours
- Yield: 18-24 twisted rolls 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American-German
1–1/2 cups whole milk
16 tablespoons butter, divided
1–1/4 ounce package instant yeast
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 –5 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
8 tablespoons or 1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup toasted chopped pecans
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon-optional
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon orange extract, vanilla or creme bouquet
1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Heat 1 cup of milk in medium saucepan until slightly boiling around the edges of pan. Do not scald. Remove from heat, and cool to 108-10 degrees.
- Add 8 tablespoons butter to warm milk, stir to melt and blend.
- In small bowl, mix yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar, add to 108 degree milk. Stir to blend.
- In large bowl, beat eggs and remaining 1/2 cup sugar with electric mixer paddle attachment. Change paddle to dough hook.
- Add yeast mixture to egg mixture. Beat on low gradually add 2 cups of flour. Beat to blend. Continue adding flour until dough is smooth and forms a ball. Only add flour after 2 cups 1 tablespoon at a time as not to over use flour. Dough will be sticky to touch.
- Lightly grease large bowl with cooking spray add dough. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 2 hours or until double.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 9 x 13 x 2″ pan with cooking spray.
- Cut dough in half, roll out one half of dough into 18 x 24″ rectangle to 1/4″ thickness.
- In small bowl, melt 8 tablespoons butter in microwave, add brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread half of this mixture over dough.
- Cut dough into 1″ strips. Fold each strip in half end to end and twist several times. Place twists in prepared baking dish. Fill pan with twists touching each other.
- Cover with plastic wrap and rise 45 minutes.
- Repeat with second half of dough or at this point you can roll rectangle like a jelly roll and slice into 1 ” rolls. Place these rolls on a lightly greased round cake pan, with rolls touching each other. Rise and then bake.
- Bake rolls 20 minutes or until lightly browned bottom edges. Remove from oven, cover with foil while making glaze/drizzle. Drizzle glaze over warm twists. Serve warm.
Mix all ingredients, stir to combine. Drizzle should be thin consistency for drizzling over warm rolls. Double recipe if needed, depending on how much glaze you like on your rolls.
Twists can be baked, wrapped and frozen up to 30 days. Unthaw before warming in 250 degree oven. Glaze right before serving.