Hungering for apple butter & pecans? Bake a batch of Jumbo Apple Butter Pecan Muffins for family and friends this fall. Nothing smells better than cinnamon and toasting pecans which is what these muffins are made of. A jumbo silicone muffin pan makes these muffins easy to bake and release for bakers.
How to Make these Muffins
While most of the ingredients you will probably have on hand, you may need to toast some pecans for this recipe. If you don’t have apple butter or sour cream, make a quick trip to the store to get it. These are the secret ingredients that makes these muffins soft and moist.
Note: This is an overnight batter, chilling is required to make these muffins. so they are Make- Ahead, make the batter one evening, bake the next morning.
Let’s make some apple butter muffins. First of all, sift flour, baking powder and baking soda, sugar and salt in a large sifter into a large mixing bowl. Set aside while you whip up the wet ingredients.
Fit your stand mixer with the beater paddle if you have a stand mixer or you can mix by hand with wire whisk. Cream together, eggs, sour cream, oil, butter, water and extract in mixing bowl, beat on low speed to until smooth or whisk until creamy. Add toasted pecans or nut of choice. Stir to blend on low speed or stir with whisk.
In mixing bowl with dry ingredients form a well in the center of the flour. Add wet ingredients to the well. Gently stir to combine, or on low speed of mixer, do not over mix or beat. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight or at least 2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients, cut in butter to crumble mixture. Mixture will be lumpy. Which is what you want it to look like. Cover with plastic wrap and chill with batter until ready to bake muffins.
To Bake Muffins: Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly spray silicone jumbo muffin pan and muffin papers if using with cooking spray. Transfer batter to disposable piping bag, cut ½” opening or use a scoop. Pipe or spoon batter into mold, stopping ½” from the top.
Apple Butter Pecan Muffins
Apple Butter Muffins are made like a coffee cake with swirled apple butter and chopped pecans on the inside. A crumble topping made with all purpose & almond flour, brown sugar, butter, ground cinnamon makes this muffin crunchy and delicious. After baking sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. The muffins are baked in a silicone jumbo muffin pan.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-Jumbo or 12 Small Muffins 1x
- Category: Breads-Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1– 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1– 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
½ -teaspoon salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons sour cream
6 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
4 Tablespoons melted butter
1/3– cup water or apple juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Interior Swirl:
6 Tablespoons apple butter
5 Tablespoons all purpose flour
¼ cup almond flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4-teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4-teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into ¼” cubes
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt together in medium mixing bowl, set aside.
- Combine eggs, sour cream, oil, butter, water and extract in a large mixing bowl, whisk until smooth. Add chopped pecans. Stir to combine.
- Form a well in center of flour mixing bowl then add wet ingredients. Gently stir to combine, but do not over mix. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight of up to 36 hours.
- In another small bowl, combine streusel ingredients but cut in butter and crumble mixture. Cover with wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake muffins.
- To Bake Muffins: Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly spray silicone jumbo muffin pan and muffin papers if using with cooking spray. Transfer batter to disposable piping bag, cut ½” opening or use a scoop. Pipe or spoon batter into mold, stopping ½” from the top. Drop 1 tablespoon of apple butter on top of batter, with small knife swirl into batter. Add streusel to top of muffin. Place pan in oven bake for 15 minutes, cover with foil, continue baking 10-12 minutes or until center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool, remove from pan. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
*Muffins can be frozen after baked. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar before serving. Option: Swap out swirl for piped in apple butter after baking.
- Refrigerating the batter over night combines the flavors and makes it easy to bake the next morning.
- Adding oil and butter to recipe creates muffins with a tender cake.