Beef & Cheese “Club” Sandwich with Aujus Recipe
- Yield: 4 sandwiches 1x
- 1½ pounds deli sliced roast beef
- 8 thin slices Havarti cheese
- 2 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup beef broth
- 4 Sub Rolls or Crusty Roll
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 12 thin slices of red pepper rings
Au Jus Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon flour
- In large saucepan, sauté onions in butter until softened, add sugar to caramelize. When golden brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, heat beef slices until warm. Add beef broth to moisten.
- Split rolls and toast under broiler until light brown.
- On both sides of roll spread thin layer of mustard.
- Place cheese slice on bottom roll, layer the beef, top with onions and red pepper slices. Top with roll.
- Serve it up Sassy with individual Au Jus sauce per sandwich.
Au Jus Instructions :
- 1. In small skillet or saucepan, caramelize the onions in olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with vinegar, then add Worcestershire sauce, stir constantly.
- Add beef broth and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain broth and then return to pan.
- In small custard cup with 2 tablespoons cold water, add teaspoon flour, stir to dissolve. Simmer additional 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
*Au Jus is a French term for serving meat with its own natural juices. This is used as a dipping sauce for beef sandwiches.