Create a man size sandwich for your dad for fathers day or anytime you are feeding a crew. Hearty beef deli sliced roast beef, Havarti cheese, Vidalia onions, red pepper rings line a sub roll creating a delicious crowd pleasing sandwich. Dip the sub in a Au Jus sauce, full of beef flavor, garlic and spices. Delicious. While you are serving this great sub, create seasoned sweet potato fries to go with it.
How to Make this Sandwich
In large saucepan, sauté onions in butter until softened, add sugar to caramelize. When golden brown, remove from pan and set aside. I used Vadalia sweet onions for this sub, if you can find them. If not use yellow onion.
In same pan, heat beef slices until warm. Add beef broth to moisten.
Assembly of Sub
Split rolls and toast under broiler until light brown. Turn your oven to 450 degrees to broil the rolls, watch carefully as not to burn. They will brown fast. After browning, spread both sides with a thin layer of dijon mustard, or mustard of your choice.
Place your choice of cheese, we used Harvarti for its firm but mellow flavor on the bottom roll, layer beef, top with caramlized onions and red pepper slices. Top sandwich with remaining roll.
Serve it up Sassy with individual Au Jus sauce per sandw
Au Jus Instructions :
In small skillet or saucepan caramelize the onions in olive oil. Add garlic and cook for two minutes. Be careful garlic will burn fast if heat is too warm. Start on medium for cook top saute. Deglaze the pan with vinegar, add Worcestershire sauce whisk together to remove any morsels of caramelization in skillet. Add beef broth and bring to a light boil. You might turn up the heat to medium high just to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to reduce the sauce. Simmer about 30 minutes. Strain broth and return to pan.
In small custard cup with 2 tablespoons cold water, add teaspoon flour, stir to dissolve. Simmer additional 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Au Jus is like a beefy gravy but thinner and no cream/milk.
Tip: Heat beef broth for 1 minute in microwave before adding to base au Jus, this will help blend the flour water combo for the sauce.
Here ya go. Try this recipe. You will love it and so will your family, especially Dad!Print
Beef and Cheese “Club” Sandwich with AuJus
Super hearty sandwich or sub featuring deli sliced roast beef, cheese, onions, red peppers with beefy dipping sauce to make every meat lover think they have been to heaven.
- Yield: 4 sandwiches 1x
- 1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
- 8 thin slices Havarti cheese
- 2 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 Sub Rolls or Crusty Roll
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 12 thin slices of red pepper rings
Au Jus Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon flour
- In large saucepan, sauté onions in butter until softened, add sugar to caramelize. When golden brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, heat beef slices until warm. Add beef broth to moisten.
- Split rolls and toast under broiler until light brown.
- On both sides of roll spread thin layer of mustard.
- Place cheese slice on bottom roll, layer the beef, top with onions and red pepper slices. Top with roll.
- Serve it up Sassy with individual Au Jus sauce per sandwich.
Au Jus Instructions :
- 1. In small skillet or saucepan, caramelize the onions in olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with vinegar, then add Worcestershire sauce, stir constantly.
- Add beef broth and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain broth and then return to pan.
- In small custard cup with 2 tablespoons cold water, add teaspoon flour, stir to dissolve. Simmer additional 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
*Au Jus is a French term for serving meat with its own natural juices. This is used as a dipping sauce for beef sandwiches.