Make the best caramel apples at home with this easy caramel apple recipe where the caramel actually sticks to the apple. Wax free and dried Gala apples are dipped into cooked caramel sauce and decorated with assorted nuts and candies. So delicious!!!
Sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and corn syrup makes this recipe for caramel cling to the unwaxed apples. It is important to remove any wax you might have on the gala apples. Best to use organic if you can. Any sweet eating apple will work for this recipe.
Dip several apples for they won’t last long as family and friends will gobble em up as fast as you make them. Great for harvest parties or anytime you want a delicious caramel coated apple.
Caramel Apple Recipe
- Yield: 6-caramel apples 1x
6 medium Gala apples, wax removed
1 cup butter + 4 tablespoons
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup corn syrup
1–14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon maple syrup or vanilla
Chopsticks or craft sticks
Diced peanuts, walnuts, pecans, mini m & m’s, white bark, chocolate morsels
- Prepare apple toppings and place in bowls, set aside.
- With 4 tablespoons of butter grease parchment paper or wax paper, set aside.Remove wax on apples by placing apples in boiling water for 40 seconds, remove and rinse.
- Dry apples, remove apple stems and add sticks. Place apples in refrigerator to chill while you make the caramel. (You will thoroughly dry apples with a towel before dipping in caramel.)
- In large saucepan on medium heat, melt butter, sugars and corn syrup until smooth, but not boiling.
- Add condensed milk and stir with wooden spoon until candy thermometer reaches 178 degrees. Remove from heat and add syrup or vanilla, let caramel cool for 3-4 minutes before dipping apples.
- To dip apples; make sure apples are completely dry. Dip apple in caramel and allow caramel to drop off the bottom so it will not pool, roll apple in desired toppings, place on buttered wax or parchment paper to set.
- Melt white bark and chocolate chips in separate containers and place in individual disposable piping bags. Pipe white bark and chocolate around tops of apples in a drizzle design. Keep apples refrigerated.
How to Make Caramel Apples
Step 1: Prepare apples, remove wax and throughly dry, insert stick.
Step 2: Melt butter, sugars and corn syrup until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk heat to 178 degrees.
Step: 4 Dip Apples
Step: 5 Roll into nuts
If you want to drizzle chocolate over the tip of the apple do so after dipping in nuts.
You can dip and drizzle whatever your family loves. Here are a few other ideas.
Other Ideas you might like to try: