Whether creating cookie trays or cookies for gift giving; the Best Chocolate Orange Log Cookies will please every palate. Rich orange flavored shortbread cookie dough is shaped into pressed logs, baked and coated in dark chocolate. For those who are not chocolate fans, the cookies can be dipped in white chocolate with added confetti sprinkles. Easy to make and bake, everyone will love these bite sized flavorful cookies.
Six simple ingredients for these cookies are butter, sugar, egg, orange extract, baking powder and all purpose flour. You probably have those ingredients in your pantry. After mixing in a large mixing bowl, spoon dough mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, Tip # 8B. Pipe a 2-3″ long strip onto parchment lined baking sheet 2″ apart then Chill the cookies.
Chill 30 Minutes before Baking
For best results, chill the piped cookies for 30 minutes. Chilling the piped cookies will keep the shape during baking. If you do not chill the dough your cookies will bake wider and loose the pretty lines on the cookie. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. You want to make sure you do not over brown the cookies. At the 8 minute mark, remove cookies from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. They will harden as they cool and will be easy to dip in candy coating.
Dipping the Cookies
Whether dipping in dark chocolate or white chocolate the technique is the same. Allow cookies to completely cool before dipping in the candy melts. I use Ghirardelli dark and white chocolate wafers. Do not use white chocolate chips. Unfortunately the chips will not melt and you will have a horrible mess. There are stabilizers in the white chocolate chips that prevent even melting. White bark is also good for melting and coating cookies.
Melting wafers: Place one cup of wavers in a glass microwave safe cup or bowl, microwave for 40 seconds, stir until completely melted. If necessary add 1/2 teaspoon shortening to assist with thinning the chocolate for dipping. Dip one end of cookie into either the dark chocolate or white chocolate coating. Immediately sprinkle with confetti or crushed candy canes for garnish if desired.
See complete instructions below:
Chocolate Orange Log Cookies
Butter cookies piped into 2 ” strips with one end dipped in melted chocolate and rolled in finely ground pecans. For Christmas; sprinkle with colored sugars or candies instead of nuts.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes + 30 Chill
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes + dipping
- Yield: 55-60 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert- Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon orange extract
2– 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels or Ghirardelli Dark or White Chocolate Wafers
1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
Garnish: 3/4 cups finely chopped pecans, confetti sprinkles, crushed candy canes are all optional.
- Cream butter and sugar in large mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Add egg, zest and extract beat until blended.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stir until soft dough forms.
- Spoon mixture into pastry bag fitted with large star tip 8B.
- Pipe 2″ strips of dough placed 2 ” apart on un-greased baking sheet.
- Chill cookies 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake cookies 8 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet before removing. Cool completely before dipping.
- Prepare chocolate coating: place wafers and shortening in a small microwaveable cup or bowl. Microwave on medium power for 40 seconds stir to melt. Add orange extract and stir to blend.
- Dip one end of cookie in chocolate then roll in nuts if desired. Place on parchment paper to harden. Store in air tight container.
- Best coating for dipping is Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate or White Chocolate Wafers.
- Do not melt white chocolate chips, they will not melt. You can use regular chocolate chips for dipping, that will work just fine.
- Cookies can be baked and frozen before dipping.
- Dip when ready to serve or package for gifts. Be sure to thaw cookie to dip, and allow dipped ends to completely set before serving or packaging.
Keywords: Best Chocolate Orange Log Cookies
Other Ideas you might like to try: Click on photo for recipes.