Chocolate Covered Macaroon cookies are moist coconut filled cookies made with orange sherbert and a white cake mix, two ingredients that you normally wouldn’t see in a cookie recipe.
Chocolate Covered Macaroon Recipe
- Yield: 30 cookies 1x
1 cup orange sherbet, softened
2 teaspoons almond or crème bouquet flavoring
1–15.25 ounce white cake mix-tested Duncan Hines
¼ cup all purpose flour
6 cups flaked sweetened coconut
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips *tested Ghirardelli dark melting wafers
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- In large mixing bowl, add cake mix, sherbet, and flavoring.
- Beat until well combined on medium speed in mixing bowl.
- Add flour, then coconut 2 cups at a time until batter becomes thickened.
- Using a 2 tablespoon sized scoop, scoop cookie batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet 2 “ apart. Bake cookies at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
- Cookies will be tender in the middle.
- Cool cookies before coating with melted chocolate.
Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a glass measuring cup and place in microwave for 20 seconds, stir until chips are melted.
Repeat process if necessary to melt chips. Stir until smooth.
Dip bottom of cooled cookies in chocolate, turn upside down on a parchment lined baking sheet to set up, repeat until all cookies are coated.
Once chocolate is set, turn cookies over and drizzle the tops with remaining melted chocolate.
If you would like, you can place the melted chocolate in a zip lock bag, clip a tiny opening in one end and use this technique to drizzle the tops of the cookies with chocolate.
This cookie can be baked and frozen before adding chocolate. You can also scoop the cookie batter into balls and freeze to bake later.