Ingredients for Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti are simple, flour, butter, sugar, peppermint extract, crushed candy canes and mini chocolate chips. The dough is shaped into a 12″ x 2″ wide log, baked and then sliced into 1/2 ” slices. These slices are baked again on each side to crisp and harden. When cool, dip one end of the cookie in melted chocolate and sprinkle with crushed or chopped peppermint candies. A perfect little cookie full of sweetness, chocolate and peppermint.
Shape dough in 2″ x 12″ long flattened log.
Biscotti has been baked once. Next step is to slice into 1/2″ slices.
Slice and place pieces on baking sheet on it’s side, bake 7 minutes, then turn over and bake additional 7 minutes.
After cooled, dip in chocolate and crushed peppermints. Package for Gift Giving.
Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti
Twice baked cookie biscotti is filled with mini chocolate chips and crushed peppermints, then dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with more crushed peppermints. Easy to make and bake. You will be baking this cookie twice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 16-1/2" wide slices 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
3 –1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup crushed peppermint candies
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans -optional
2 cups (12 ounces) mini semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add one egg at a time to creamed mixture, beat to blend. Add peppermint extract, beat to mix.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to butter cream mixture. Mix to blend.
- Add mini chocolate chips and crushed candy. Add chopped nuts if using.
- Mix on low speed until blended.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl, shape with hands into 2 sections. Shape each section into a 12″ x 3″ x 1/2″ slab.
- Place cookie dough rectangles onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake in oven 10 minutes, reverse cookie trays from bottom to top shelf, continue baking dough 20 minutes. Watching closely as not to over brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 minutes. Place cookie slab on cutting board and with serrated knife slice slabs into 1/2 ” angled slices.
- Place sliced pieces on their sides on baking sheet and bake an additional 7 minutes then turn over pieces and bake 7 more minutes until pieces are dried and baked.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Meantime, make Chocolate Frosting
- In microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave at 20 second intervals to melt chocolate. Stir to smooth.
- Dip one end of cookie biscotti into melted chocolate and sprinkle with crushed peppermints.
- Used crushed candy canes for peppermints.