Make the best key lime pie with Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix this filling in minutes, pour into graham cracker crust and bake at 350 F degrees for 12-15 minutes. Serve the chilled pie with fresh whipped cream, Kiwi slices and grated lime zest. Perfect pie to make any season.
What is Key Lime anyway?
Key limes come from Key West Florida, its exact origin is unknown. They are very tart, and smaller in size than the limes you find at the grocery store. The juice of the lime is yellow unlike year round limes. Making a key lime pie with egg yolks makes the pie filling a creamy lemon color. According to Wikipedia the early version of Key Lime pie was not baked but due to the scare of unsafe eggs, pies today should be baked.
Easy as Pie to Make
You can make this pie in less than 30 minutes, however the pie should be chilled at least 2 hours before serving. The filling will be set and pie will slice brilliantly.Print
Extra Tart Key Lime Pie Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mintues
- Cook Time: 15 minutes + 2 hours Chill
- Total Time: 30-35 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1– unbaked 9″ graham cracker crust
3 egg yolks
1–14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons grated lime zest, optional
Key Lime Flavored Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon Key Lime juice concentrate
- Prepare graham cracker crust. Be sure to butter pie plate before pressing into pie plate. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In large mixing bowl and wire whisk attachment, beat egg yolks until very fluffy, thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually add condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, about 4 minutes. Lower speed and add key lime juice concentrate and lime zest, mix until combined.
- Pour filling into partially baked graham cracker crust. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until center of pie is set.
- Remove from oven and cool. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving pie.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream and lime zest/kiwi slices.
Optional Key lime glaze for dessert plate drizzle. Mix 1/3 cup lime juice with 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar. Drizzle on dessert plate in zig zag.
- Be sure when separating egg yolk from the whites that you do not get any egg white mixed in with the yolk. It will inhibit your pie filling volume.
- Make a key lime glaze to drizzle on dessert plate if desired.
Keywords: Key Lime Pie, Key Lime Pie Recipe
Nellie & Joe’s Key Lime Juice is the best! You can find it here on Amazon where I am an affiliate and may be compensated if purchased.