Whether its spring or Easter, you will want to make these cute little Mini Bunny Cookies. The cookies are baked cut-out oval shapes baked and decorated like a cute little bunny. Good & Plenty candies make the bunny ears while frosting makes the eyes and tail. As a result, this easy cookie recipe will not spread during baking. Transform simple butter cookies into cute little bunnies. Your kiddos will love them!
Good and Plenty Candies decorate the oval shaped butter cookies.
Mini Bunny Cookie RecipeMini Bunny Cookie RecipePrint
Mini Bunny Cookies
Decorate oval shaped cut out butter cookies with frosting and Good & Plenty Candies to look like a mini bunny.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes + decorating
- Yield: 6 dozen 1 ½ inch cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert-Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar, processed in blender or food processor for 30 seconds
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. Almond extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour.
Meringue Powder Butter Cream Frosting
1/3 cup water
3 T. meringue powder
½ cup shortening
4 ½ cups powdered sugar (1 lb. 3 oz. If you have a scale)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want a pure white icing)
¼ tsp. almond extract
Butter Cookie Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes medium speed.
Add yolk, beat well. Add whole egg, vanilla and almond extract. beat until well-incorporated.
Add flour; beat at low speed just until flour is blended. Divide dough in halves or thirds and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour and up to 2 days.
Dust work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll dough to 1/4″ thick, sprinkling with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Using an oval egg shape cookie cutter, cut out cookies. place on baking sheet.
Bake until cookies are brown 10-12 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks and cool completely before decorating.
Meringue Powder Butter Cream Frosting Instructions
- Place half of the powdered sugar and the meringue powder in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk together well.
- Turn on mixer (use whip attachment) and, while motor is running, slowly stream in the water. Mix until everything is incorporated. Turn mixer to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form. Add flavorings and mix well. Change to paddle attachment for stand mixer If using a hand mixer, use the same beaters you were using before. Add remaining powdered sugar and shortening and whip for 2-3 minutes more.
- Decorating: Use tip # 5 pipe a line around outside edge of cookie, flood cookie with frosting. Let dry. For bunny tail, pipe large drop using frosting, then sprinkle with coarse sugar. For ears, use good and plenty candies, for eyes– use tip 2 pipe brown frosting.
* Note: Don’t skimp on the whipping time after adding the shortening. You really need to whip it well to prevent separation later. (divide frosting 3/4 white– 1/4 brown).
Other ideas you might like to try: