Its fall, time to make Autumn Leaf Two Toned Cookies! All it takes is a switcheroo using two different cookie cutters and two colors of chilled dough. Melted butterscotch chips added to the basic dough makes the two toned look. Mini Autumn Cookie Cutters and Square Cutters click on links.
Autumn Leaf Two Toned Cookie Recipe
- Yield: 3 dozen cookies 1x
- 1 cup butterscotch or peanut butter morsels
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened- no substitutes
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa (tested Hershey’s special dark)
- Melt chips in saucepan over low heat or microwave in glass bowl 20 seconds at a time.
- In large mixing bowl, combine sugars, butter and melted chips, beat until smooth
- Add milk, vanilla and egg, blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. Add flour to mixture.
- Divide dough in half. To half of dough, stir in cocoa until well blended. Wrap each half of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour….for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 375 F. On well floured surface roll out each half of dough into 1/8” thickness.
- Using a 2 ½” x 2 ½” square or round cookie cutter, cut out cookies from both the chocolate and the butterscotch dough’s.
- Using a mini leaf cookie cutter cut out the center of each round or square cookie, replace with center of opposite color.
- Place cookies on parchment lined double baking sheets. Refrigerate for 5 minutes before baking. This will help set the center cutouts and firm up the dough for baking.
- Bake at 375 for 5-8 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute before removing from baking sheet.
*Recipe inspired by Pillsbury Bars & Cookies booklet 1998. To make marbled looking cookies, roll scrapes of dark and light colored dough together and cut into leaf shapes.
Click on photo below to make Team Inspired Cookies