Its fall, time to make Autumn Leaf Two Toned Cookies! All it takes is a switcheroo using two different cookie cutters and two colors of chilled dough. Melted butterscotch chips added to the basic dough makes the two toned look. Mini Autumn Cookie Cutters and Square Cutters click on links.
Making Autumn Leaf Two Toned Cookies
Really this cookie is easy to make and bake. First melt butterscotch chips in microwave a 20 seconds or more, stir to melt. Be careful not to burn the chips. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, butter and melted chips. Beat until very smooth. Add eggs, milk, and extract beat to combine and sugars are fully incorporated into the batter.
Dividing the Cookie Dough
Last add the dry ingredients, flour, but not the cocoa powder yet. You will be dividing the dough in half, and one half gets the dark cocoa powder. So do that, divide the dough in half and tint with cocoa. It dough seems to be hard to manage add a tiny bit of milk to make it blend into a ball. Flatten dough into a round or square disc.
Chill Time is Important for Rolling
Wrap each dough disc with plastic wrap and chill for one hour. After the big chill, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside will creating cookies.
The Big Roll Out
On a floured surface, remove the wrap from two dough colors, roll out each disc to 1/8″ thickness. Using a 2-1/2 x 2-1/2″ square or round cookie cutter, cut out cookies from both chocolate and butterscotch doughs. Using a mini leaf cookie cutter cut out the center of the each cookie and replace the center cut out with opposite color.
Place cookies on baking sheets and chill 5-7 minutes before baking. This will help set the center cut outs and firm up the dough for baking. Bake at 375 for 5-8 minutes or until set. Cool one minutes before removing from baking sheet. Repeat process until all cookies are cut.
What to Do with Leftover Dough Scraps
In addition to making two toned cookies with a definite pattern in the middle of the cookie, you can roll your leftover pieces of cookie dough together, creating a marbled cookie. Roll dough pieces together but not too much so your marbling will be clear and not muddy looking. Same 1/8″ thickness, then cut out using assorted Autumn leaf cookie shapes and sizes. This will add a pretty look to your cookie tray.
No need to frost or glaze these beauties, the cookies are sweet enough and have a butterscotch flavor. If you want to substitute the chips other than peanut butter or butterscotch you can, just make sure you have a contrasting color for your doughs.Print
Autumn Leaf Two Toned Cookie Recipe
Easy to make two toned cookies, butterscotch or peanut butter chips and dark cocoa powder make the two different tones. Make two doughs and switch the centers with Autumn leaf cut outs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes + 60 minute chill
- Cook Time: 5-8 minutes
- Total Time: 90 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert- Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: America
- 1 cup butterscotch or peanut butter morsels
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened- no substitutes
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa (tested Hershey’s special dark)
- Melt chips in saucepan over low heat or microwave in glass bowl 20 seconds at a time.
- In large mixing bowl, combine sugars, butter and melted chips, beat until smooth
- Add milk, vanilla and egg, blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. Add flour to mixture.
- Divide dough in half. To half of dough, stir in cocoa until well blended. Wrap each half of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour….for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 375 F. On well floured surface roll out each half of dough into 1/8” thickness.
- Using a 2 ½” x 2 ½” square or round cookie cutter, cut out cookies from both the chocolate and the butterscotch dough’s.
- Using a mini leaf cookie cutter cut out the center of each round or square cookie, replace with center of opposite color.
- Place cookies on parchment lined double baking sheets. Refrigerate for 5 minutes before baking. This will help set the center cutouts and firm up the dough for baking.
- Bake at 375 for 5-8 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute before removing from baking sheet.
*Recipe inspired by Pillsbury Bars & Cookies booklet 1998. To make marbled looking cookies, roll scrapes of dark and light colored dough together and cut into leaf shapes.
Keywords: Two Toned Autumn Cookies, Butterscotch, Peanut Butter, Dark Cocoa