Create a quick bite from the Garden, make Pesto Crostini Appetizer. Home grown baby arugula, basil, and parsley make a delicious pesto combined with walnuts, garlic and olive oil. Spread this pesto on small rounds of toasted crusty bread and garnish with parmesan cheese and sliced cherry tomatoes. For more Garden Fresh ideas click here.
Pesto Crostini Appetizer
- Yield: 20 crostini or 1 cup pesto 1x
½ cup baby arugula leaves
¼ cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons + ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tablespoons butter, softened
3 – 4 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and Pepper- optional
20– ¼ “sliced crusty bread loaf for crostini
8–10 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Brush crostini slices with olive oil and grill or toast in oven until golden brown.
- In food processor, pulse walnuts one or two times, add arugula leaves, basil, parsley, 2 tablespoons cheese and garlic, pulse until smooth.
- Scrape down sides and add softened butter and olive oil. Pulse mixture until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper if desired to taste.
- Spread small amount of pesto on crostini, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, top with sliced tomato.
Make the pesto a day a head for best flavor.
Toast rounds can be made ahead 3 days prior to event and stored in sealed plastic bag and refrigerated or frozen.