Create a quick bite from the Garden, make Pesto Crostini Appetizer. Home grown baby arugula, basil, and parsley make a delicious pesto combined with walnuts, garlic and olive oil. Spread this pesto on small rounds of toasted crusty bread and garnish with parmesan cheese and sliced cherry tomatoes. Super easy appetizer for entertaining summer guests.
How to Make Pesto Crostini Appetizer
If there is a secret to this crunchy appetizer it is the crostini. Sometimes you can find thin bread rounds at the grocery already bagged or you can make your own skinny loaf. To make this appetizer, brush crostini slices with olive oil and grill or toast in oven until golden brown. I set my oven at 375 and bake about 8-10 minutes. Watch carefully as not to burn. At about 8 minutes, turn over the slices to toast the other side.
Making the Pesto
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade, pulse toasted walnuts one or two times, add arugula leaves, basil, parsley, 2 tablespoons cheese and garlic. Pulse mixture until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper if desired to taste.
Serving Pesto Crostini
Spread small amount of pesto on toasted crostini rounds, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, top with sliced tomato.
Note: If you would like your cheese to be melted, after placing the pesto on the rounds, sprinkle with cheese and pop back into the oven for a few minutes to melt and heat. Serve with sliced cherry tomato right before serving. Drizzle with olive oil if desired.Print
Pesto Crostini Appetizer
Toasted crusty round bread slices with home made pesto, parmesan cheese and sliced cherry tomato makes a super easy appetizer.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 20 crostini or 1 cup pesto 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake- Pulse
- Cuisine: American
1/2 cup baby arugula leaves
1/4 cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tablespoons butter, softened
3 – 4 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and Pepper- optional
20– 1/4 “sliced crusty bread loaf for crostini
8–10 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Brush crostini slices with olive oil and grill or toast in oven until golden brown. Heat oven to 375, place round slices on baking sheet, toast 8-10 minutes, at 8 minutes turn over to toast other side. Toast additional 8 minutes.
- In food processor fitted with steel blade, pulse walnuts one or two times, add arugula leaves, basil, parsley, 2 tablespoons cheese and garlic, pulse until smooth.
- Scrape down sides and add softened butter and olive oil. Pulse mixture until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper if desired to taste.
- Spread small amount of pesto on crostini, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, top with sliced tomato.
Make the pesto a day a head for best flavor.
If you want to serve your appetizer warm, after spreading pesto over the rounds, sprinkle with cheese and return to 375 degree oven to melt cheese. Add tomato right before serving. Drizzle with olive oil.
Toast rounds can be made ahead 3 days prior to event and stored in sealed plastic bag and refrigerated or frozen.
Keywords: Pesto Crostini, Appetizer, Olive Oil, Parmesan Cheese, Cherry Tomatoes
Other Ideas You Might Like to Try:
Stuffed Beef Pockets with Vegetable Spread