Need a quick chocolate cake or cupcakes? Make this chocolate mayonnaise cake or cupcakes in less than 45 minutes. Dark chocolate cocoa powder and Hellman’s mayonnaise are two key ingredients in this recipe. This cake is moist and delicious. No need for eggs in this recipe, the mayonnaise replaces. Super simple recipe with delicious flavor especially with Nutella hazelnut frosting.
How to make these cupcakes
In a mixer add one cup of mayonnaise, sugar, vanilla and 2 cups of all purpose flour. In a separate bowl, add lukewarm water and baking soda, with dash of salt. Cocoa powder and instant coffee granules add richness to the cake batter and of course the dark chocolate flavor. You can use other brands of mayo, some have more sugar than others. There are no eggs in this recipe.
However if you want to add eggs, increase to 3 and add additional 1/4 cup sugar. Just plan for a few more cupcakes up to 6.
Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Lightly spray cupcake tin with liners or One 9” x 13” cake. Line baking pan with parchment paper, lightly coat the parchment paper with cooking spray. Pour cake batter into the cupcake tin or cake pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes for cupcakes or 35 minutes for cake.
If you want to bake cakes instead of cupcakes the batter will fill two 9” round cake layers, or three 8” round layers, or one 9 x 13″ as mentioned.
Frosting the cupcakes
Frosting the cooled cupcakes with Nutella buttercream frosting is pretty easy. You can spread the frosting with an off set spatula for a smooth layer or pile it medium high with a pretty swirl.
I used a Russian piping tip to make the swirled frosting. My tip did not come with a tip number, but the link I attached has several in a kit. You will not need a coupler only a large piping bag for frosting and tip. Practice before frosting cupcakes for best results. Tip: Frosting needs to be medium consistency for piping easily. Garnish cupcakes with candies or coffee bean as desired.
Recipe for Chocolate Mayo Cake and Nutella Buttercream
Mix 1/2 cup Nutella hazelnut spread to 1/4 cup softened butter + 2 cups confectioners sugar. Add 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half n half in increments for desired consistency.
Beat butter and Nutella together until creamy, add confectioners sugar and heavy cream, whip on high until smooth and creamy.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
Super easy moist chocolate cake made with mayonnaise. Cake is frosted with buttercream frosting. To make this a Christmas cupcake, decorate the cupcakes with candy ornaments.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 9 x 13 cake or 24 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1 cup mayonnaise
1–1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup lukewarm water
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons Special Dark Cocoa
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Or 24 cupcake liners in cupcake pan. Lightly spray cupcake liners with cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl with beater attachment, add mayo, sugar, vanilla, cocoa, salt and flour. In glass measuring cup, add lukewarm water, baking soda, and instant coffee granules. Stir to combine. Then add to dry ingredients.
- Beat on medium speed to combine for 2 minutes no more.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan or cupcake liners.
- Bake cake for 30-40 minutes or cupcakes 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Frost with buttercream frosting
- No eggs or vegetable oil in this cake recipe. However mayo is made with eggs and vegetable oil.
Keywords: mayonnaise cake
This was my mothers recipe who recently moved to heaven in 2020. We would have this cake for birthday’s and other holiday events.