Hungering for something sweet and satisfying? Check out my recipe for Mini Dark Chocolate Cupcakes. Easy recipe using box mixes makes this cupcake moist and ever so delicious! If you can’t get enough chocolate with the cupcake, then frost these mini’s with dark chocolate buttercream frosting. Garnished with a tiny red candied rose, which really isn’t too good to eat but looks pretty. Tiny rose is purchased and used for cake decorating. Serve these baked cupcakes in pretty black and white polka dot or striped cupcake liners.
How to Make Mini Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Like I mentioned, the cupcakes start with a dark chocolate cake mix. Added to the mix is a package of chocolate instant pudding and pie mix. This helps with the deep chocolate flavor and adds a pound cake texture to these cakes. Eggs, vegetable oil, water and vanilla is added to the batter as well as mini chocolate chips. Since the cupcakes are mini, using mini chips will distribute the chips better. Besides you get more in every bite.
Line a mini cupcake pan with paper liners. I used white mini cups, the outer black and white paper liners are used for presentation. Fill a zip lock baggie with the batter, clip one end. Pipe batter into mini liners. Place cupcakes in preheated 350 degree oven. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before frosting.
To make the frosting quick and easy, I used canned dark chocolate frosting- tested Duncan Hines. Fill disposable piping bag fitted with small round tip # 5 with smoothed canned frosting. If the frosting is too soft, chill it a few minutes before piping. Pipe mini cupcakes with frosting and add the candy rose as a garnish. If you don’t want to use the candy rose, a long stem cherry would be just as lovely and definitely will taste better.
Mini Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Candied Roses Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 50 mini or 24 standard 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1–18.25 ounce package dark chocolate fudge cake mix
1–3ounce package chocolate instant pudding and pie mix-dry
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1/2 cup mini chocolate morsels
2 cups dark chocolate butter cream frosting*purchased
1/4 cup dark cocoa for dusting-optional
Pre-made tiny rose Icing Decorations-tested Wilton
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare cupcake pan with liners. Combine all cake batter ingredients. Beat batter for 2 minutes to blend.
- Fill plastic zip lock bag with batter, clip end of bag to ¼ “. Pipe batter into mini cupcake liners.
- Bake cakes 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with dark chocolate butter cream frosting. Using a disposable piping bag fitted with small round tip # 5. Pipe frosting on top of mini cupcake. Dust cupcakes with dark cocoa powder in a small sieve if desired.
- Garnish with tiny rose icing decoration to center of each cupcake. Serve the mini cakes in a decorative regular sized cupcake liner for presentation. Do not remove mini cupcake liner from baked cakes.
Keywords: Mini Dark Chocolate Cupcakes, Chocolate Frosting