Celebrate birthdays with Mardi Gras inspired Mocha Cupcakes. Decked out in purple, green, yellow candy melt masks and sparkling sugars these cupcakes will be a big hit. One inch masks are made from melted candy wafers/melts in green, purple and yellow, all symbolic colors representing faith, justice and power. Happy Birthday!
Mardi Gras Mocha Cupcake Recipe
Green, purple and yellow one inch candy masks decorate the tops of the frosted cupcakes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 48 mini or 24 regular cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1–15.25 ounce package double fudge chocolate cake
1–3oz package chocolate pudding/pie mix-dry
1 cup brewed bold coffee
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cans butter cream frosting, creamy vanilla- or home -made vanilla
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare cupcake pans with liners. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and beat on medium speed to combine.
- With 1″ ice cream scoop, fill cupcake liners with cake batter filling 1/2 full.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes for mini and 22-28 for regular cupcakes.
- Cake is done when center of cake springs back after touching.
- Let cool, Remove from pan and frost with buttercream frosting.
- Decorate with candy melt- masks, and color coordinated sparkling sugars.
Divide frosting into 3 bowls, add food gel to each bowl, mix and frost 1/3 cupcakes with the individual colors. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, add masks.
To make masks: 1/2 package each Wilton candy melts, green, yellow, and purple. Place 1/2 cup of melts into a small ziplock baggie. Melt the candy in a bowl of very hot water, making sure you do not touch candy with the water. Dry off plastic bag with melts and massage bag to melt the candy. Clip one end 1/8″ and pipe into masks mold. Set aside to harden. Pop out of mold and use to decorate the cupcakes.
Mask can be ordered on line or found at confectionary baking shops.
Other Ideas you might like to try: