Need some comfort food? Make a batch of home made Mac & Cheese with in the hour. All you need is elbow macaroni noodles, cheddar cheese, butter, half n half or milk, seasonings, and panko bread crumbs.
Shredded cheddar and parmesan cheese are two cheeses that make this recipe.
3 Easy Steps to Make Mac & Cheese
Step 1: Boil in a saucepan filled with water one pound elbow macaroni. Boil as package directs and drain.
Step 2: Make the cheese sauce. In medium saucepan, melt butter, and flour together to make a rue, add cream or milk and seasonings to the mixture. Add shredded cheeses, extra sharp cheddar and parmesan is a great combination. Stir until melted and mixture thickens. Add pasta to the sauce, coat to cover.
Step 3: Assemble casserole. Spray baking dish with cooking spray, add half of the cooked macaroni and cheese to casserole dish, add reserved cheeses and buttered bread crumbs. Bake!
Super easy to make and bake. Add a vegetable as a side for a great week night meal. Here’s the recipe:Print
Easy Home Made Mac & Cheese Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
2– 1/2 cups or half a pound of uncooked elbow macaroni, rigatoni or small pasta of choice
1/2 cup butter, divided
1 teaspoon each onion and garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper- optional
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1–3/4 cup milk
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup panko bread crumbs or bread crumbs of choice
- Cook macaroni as directed on package. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter, add flour and spices, stir to cook flour mixture, but do not burn.
- Add milk cook over low heat stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Boil and stir one minute.
- Add 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan to sauce mixture. Stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to cheese sauce. Toss to coat pasta.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Layer half of the mac and cheese in casserole, add remaining reserved cheeses, top with remaining mac and cheese.
- In microwave safe bowl melt reserved butter, add dry panko crumbs, toss to coat. Spread buttery bread crumbs over the mac and cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes uncovered.
If you want creamier mac and cheese, use half and half and additional cheese.
Keywords: Mac & Cheese
Other ideas you might like to try:
Surprise Chicken Dish with Pastry Casserole
For Dessert: Chocolate Espresso Tart