Grilling and outdoor dining goes hand in hand and this make -a-head Rustic Caprese Galette will please every palette. Whether serving as an appetizer or main course everyone will love the flavors and pretty presentation. Free form shaped buttery crust made with parmesan cheese provides the rustic base for the caprese. Sweet cherry heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves drizzled with olive oil makes this dish perfect for summer entertaining.
The Recipe| Caprese GalettePrint
Rustic Caprese Galette
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer/Main Course
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American-French
½ cup cold diced butter-not margarine
1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
4 Tablespoons cold water
3 teaspoons olive oil
¼ cup butter, melted
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon ground thyme, garlic powder, salt
1 Tablespoon water
4 medium heirloom tomatoes, cored and sliced ¼”
10 small cherry tomatoes, red & yellow, sliced
½ cup Basil leaves finely cut
1 Basil leaf for garnish
5 small Mozzarella Balls, sliced
5 small Mozzarella Balls, whole as garnish
Olive oil to drizzle
- In food processor with steel blade, add flour, salt, garlic powder and butter. Cover and process until pieces are pea-size. Add Parmesan cheese process with on/off turns to combine. Add cold water and olive oil process until dough forms a ball. Remove and flatten dough into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, drain on paper towel. Set aside 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out chilled dough into a 13” circle. If dough is too wet, roll into a ball and add more flour, roll into a circle. Transfer dough onto baking sheet. Using a large round cookie cutter, cut half moons around edge of crust, remove excess dough.
- Prepare filling: In microwave glass bowl, melt ¼ -cup butter add bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and spices.
- Spread crumb mixture over center of crust. Gently lift edges of crust over the crumbs.
- Mix egg and water together and brush edges of crust with egg wash.
- Bake 30 minutes or until crust is brown and crisp. Remove from oven, cool crust.
The crust is delicious! This can be served warm or cold as a main dish or appetizer. Original recipe created for you!
Other Ideas you might like to try:
Fig Balsamic Strawberry Tomato Peach Topping Recipe