Make a batch of Lemon Blueberry Scones for breakfast or afternoon snack. These tender little scones feature chilled butter, grated lemon and fresh blueberries. Simple one bowl mixture of flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and diced chilled butter, creates a crumble dough. These scones are baked at a high temperature, cooled and drizzled with a lemon confectionery glaze.
What makes these scones so tender?
Not over working the dough will make a tender scone. In addition, a well is formed inside the flour mixture where heavy cream and egg is added. Once you add the liquid ingredients, gently add the blueberries. With a fork, bring the outside flour mixture into the well with liquids and gently mix to blend. No kneading the dough.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface, and form into a square. With a sharp knife, cut the dough in half, then half again. Each square is cut in half forming 8 scones.
How do you keep the scones from spreading during baking?
Scones will spread on your baking sheet if you do not chill the cut scones for 15 minutes before baking. The scones bake at a high temperature of 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Brush scones with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar for this will help the scones brown up to perfection.
In conclusion, the scones are slightly cooled after baking and a lemon sugar glaze is drizzled over the each scone. These are so delicious you will want to make a double batch.
Do the scones freeze well?
Yes, after baking they will freeze well, in fact if you want to mix up the dough and cut into squares the night before, you can, just wrap in plastic and foil to prevent freezer burn. Remove from freezer and bake at 400. No need to thaw before baking.
What is a scone anyway?
It’s like a sweetened biscuit but cut into triangles and baked at a high temperature. Most scones are made with flour, sugar, baking powder and salt with butter and heavy cream as the liquid. Most scone are flavored with fruit, nuts, chocolate and other flavors. However, some scones can be savory using herbs in the flour butter mixture. Whatever way you like your scone, they are tender little biscuits originally created in Scotland. Served at teas, breakfast, lunch, or afternoon snack. They are delicious and easy to make.Print
Tender Lemon Blueberry Scone Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 8 scones 1x
- Category: Bread-Sweet Scones
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
10 tablespoons chilled butter, not margarine, diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar-to sprinkle
4 tablespoons lemon juice
8 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chilled butter.
- Pinch butter into flour to form a crumble texture. Form a well in center of the bowl.
- In liquid measuring cup add heavy cream and one egg along with vanilla extract. Stir to mix with a fork.
- Pour liquid into center of flour butter well. With a fork, combine the flour with the liquid until dough forms a ball.
- On floured surface, turn dough onto counter. Shape dough into a square, cut into 4 squares and then cut the squares into triangles. You will have 8 triangles. Or if you prefer use a small biscuit cutter to shape your scones. The dough should be 1/2″ thick before cutting into triangles.
- Place scones on baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place in freezer for 8 minutes or refrigerator up to 15, this is too chill the scones so they will not spread during baking.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make lemon glaze. Mix lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar together to form a thick glaze. If the glaze is too thin add more confectioners sugar. It should be a medium consistency for a drizzle.
After scones are removed from oven, allow to cool 5-8 minutes then drizzle with glaze.
Serve on a pretty cake stand for a great presentation.
- If you want to make mini scones. Roll your dough into 6 ” x 8″ rectangle. Cut 2″ square pieces, then cut on the diagonal to make a mini triangle. Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Chill for 20 minutes in refrigerator. Bake @ 400 for 12-15 minutes. Glaze after cooling. Makes 24 mini’s. (Two bite treats).
- After baking you can freeze the scones without glazing. Glaze before serving for best results.
Keywords: Lemon Blueberry Scones
Additional ideas you might like to try: