Want crunchy cornbread sticks for a country dinner or backyard BBQ? Make this bacon, sweet onion and buttermilk corn bread recipe in a cast iron corn stick baking pan. Brushing the pan with melted bacon drippings and sea salt as well as preheating the pan for 15 minutes makes the sticks extra crispy.
Your guests will love these moist but crunchy sticks, however you will need to purchase two cast iron corn stick pans to make more at a time. If you don’t want to use the sticks, bake the recipe in a cast iron skillet prepared the same way with bacon drippings and sea salt.
Serve these sticks in a napkin lined basket or place directly on the dinner plate.
Best Bacon Onion Cornbread Sticks
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 14 corn sticks 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
6 stripes of bacon, fried and crumbled, reserve bacon dripping/grease
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion like Vidalia
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt + extra for wells of pan
1/4 teaspoon Poultry seasoning
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Brush wells of 2 cast iron corn stick pans or 1-10″ large cast iron skillet with bacon drippings, place in oven to preheat for 15 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together all dry ingredients plus bacon bits & onions, toss and form a well.
- In small bowl, mix together buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, and sour cream.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well of dry ingredients.
- Remove preheated pan from oven, sprinkle with sea salt to each well.
- Fill each well with corn bread batter about 1/2 full. Be careful not to overfill the wells for best results.
- Bake until golden brown about 10-12 minutes.
- All to cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Serve with softened butter
- Preheating your cast iron pans will make the crust crispy.
- Corn sticks can be made a ahead and frozen. To bake thaw to room temperature and warm in 325 degree oven. ( Note the sticks will not be crunchy if you freeze and thaw).
Keywords: Cornbread Sticks
Other ideas you might like to try: click on photo or link for recipe
Sides for Supper