Grab your grandmothers cast iron skillet and make a tomato pie! Fresh garden tomatoes, cheese and basil add rich flavor to this savory dish. As a side dish for supper make this recipe all summer along with butterbeans, black eyed peas and cornbread sticks. Summer southern suppers together with family and friends and this classic dish will become an all time favorite.
No cast iron skillet? No worries a deep dish tart or pie pan will do the trick. Layer pie crust in skillet, chopped sweet onion, cheese mixture, sliced tomatoes and repeat ending with tomatoes.
Cornbread Sticks, Tomato Pie and in the little red casserole is soup beans.
Southern Tomato Pie
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American-southern
1/2 package refrigerated pie crust
2 –1/2 pounds vine ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4″ thick
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1–1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1–1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1–1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 large egg
1/8 cup chopped fresh basil + small sprig for garnish
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven 425 degrees. Slice tomatoes 1/4″ thick, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and drain on paper towel for 30 minutes. Pat dry after 30 minute drain time.
- Slightly roll refrigerated pie crust to fit skillet or deep dish tart pan. Press crust up the sides of skillet, crimp edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes while preparing filling.
- In medium mixing bowl, add mayo, cheeses, egg and herbs. Mix and set aside.
- Layer chopped onions over prepared pie crust in skillet, top with 1/3 cup cheese mixture. Reserve 3 sliced tomatoes as a garnish.
- Layer sliced tomatoes over cheese in single layer, add another 1/3 cup cheese, repeat process ending with cheese. Top with reserved tomatoes. Brush with olive oil.
- Bake until brown about 25 minutes, cover with foil, continue to bake additional 20 minutes.
- Serve warm but not hot. Garnish with fresh chopped basil and basil sprig.
- Keep foil from sticking by lightly coating with cooking spray.
- Draining tomatoes is a must for this recipe otherwise your dish will be soggy. Adding salt to the tops of tomatoes will draw out the excess water, pat dry with paper towel after 30 minutes at room temperature.
- To make this a main course, add chopped cooked bacon bits or diced ham.
Keywords: Classic Tomato Pie, Recipe
Other Ideas you might like to try:
Blueberry Swirl Pound Cake