Make Chia Tea Spice Mix for family and friends this holiday season. A blend of dried oranges, cardamon pods, star anise, crystalized ginger, black peppercorns, spices and black tea makes a flavorful chia tea spice mix. Mix ingredients together and place in apothecary jars with scoop, tea ball and gift tag for best gift giving packages.
How to Make Chia Tea Spice Mix
Making chia tea spice mix is very easy and so good to drink. Head to your natural foods store or grocery that sells fresh spices and herbs. Fresh is best because the flavor will be rich and robust.
In a large mixing bowl, add all the cardamon pods, cloves, black peppercorns, berries and seeds, toss to combine. This makes a lovely presentation in a bowl or tall canister, great for displaying in your kitchen or for gift giving.
Purchase black tea, such as English Breakfast or Constant Comment. There are many black teas available, just add your favorite. Set the package aside for it is not added to the spice mix. The tea is given along with the spice mix. Back to the mix.. add dried orange peel or slices. This really brightens the spice mix.
To dry your own oranges, check this recipe. It isn’t hard to do, I placed my orange slices in the oven for 4-6 hours, oven temperature at 200. If you have a dehydrator that works even better.
Once the ingredients are mixed together, place in a pretty glass canister with a scoop. You will want everyone to see the lovely mix.
Serving the Spice Tea
When ready to serve the tea. Simmer 2 tablespoons of the Chai spices with milk, water, and honey for 25 minutes. Add tea and steep for 3 minutes. Strain into 2 large mugs and serve immediately.
It’s pretty simple Chia Tea and absolutely delicious any time of the day or night. Think I will make a cup right now. YUM!
Chia Tea Spice Mix Recipe
Chai Tea Spice Mix
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: (20) two-tablespoon servings of spice mix.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Chinese/American
- 1 Orange
- 1/2 cup(s) Cardamom Pods
- 6 Cinnamon Sticks, crushed
- 2 tablespoon(s) Whole Cloves
- 2 tablespoon(s) Black Peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon(s) Allspice Berries
- 1 tablespoon(s) Coriander Seeds
- 2 tablespoon(s) Fennel Seed
- 1/4 cup(s) Whole Star Anise
- ¼ cup Crystallized Ginger, chopped
- 8 ounces Loose English Breakfast Tea or other black tea
- 1 1/4 cup(s) Milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) Chai Spice Milk
- 3/4 cup(s) Water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) English Breakfast Tea or other black tea
- Dry the orange: Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the orange into 1/8-inch-thick rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake, turning occasionally, until dry 4-6 hours or use a dehydrator.
- Make spice mix: Combine the dried orange and the rest of the ingredients except for the loose tea and toss to combine. Store the spice blend and the tea in separate airtight containers for up to 6 months.
- For Gift; package spice mix in glass containers with a tight fitting lid, attach a small scoop, tea strainer and a package of loose black tea.
Instructions to serve: Simmer 2 tablespoons of the Chai spices with milk, water, and honey for 25 minutes. Add tea and steep for 3 minutes. Strain into 2 large mugs and serve immediately.