Not all cookies have to be home made for quick gift giving or entertaining like this recipe for Chocolate Covered Wafer Cookies. Purchased wafer cookies are sandwiched together with Nutella spread, chilled and dipped in dark chocolate. Easy to make and take. Your family and friends will love it.
Making this cookies are pretty simple, you will be dipping in melted chocolate and decorating.
How to Dip Wafer Cookies
Spread a thin layer of Nutella between two cookies and press together. Chill cookies 15-20 minutes.
Melt chocolate over double boiler or microwave a few wafers at at time in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 15-20 seconds at a time stir to melt. I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Candy Wafers.
Dip cookies in chocolate coating the bottom and sides of cookies. Place on wax paper to set. When chocolate is set/hardened, dip top of cookies in chocolate. It is helpful to dip one side of cookie, let dry then dip other side. To keep your chocolate soft, melt the wafers in a glass bowl in microwave a few seconds until melted and smooth. Keep melted chocolate container in a bowl of warm water to keep it thin for dipping. Note: Do not allow any water to come in contact with the chocolate for it will seize, turn white and harden.
To fix seized chocolate, place a few chocolate wafers in the damaged chocolate, microwave a few seconds stir to smooth out. You should be able to fix the chocolate, if not, you will need to start over. Water is not good for chocolate. If you have friends and family who can not have chocolate, you can use white chocolate for dipping. Only use Ghirardelli White Chocolate Bar or Chips. However, do not use regular white chocolate chips, they will not melt no matter what you do. A quality brand such as Ghirardelli will give you great results.
Decorate tops of cookies with Christmas sprinkles or decor while chocolate is wet. I used tweezers to attach sprinkles.
Chocolate Dipped Wafer Cookies
Packaged Sugar Wafer cookies are sandwiched together with nutella hazelnut spread, chilled and then dipped into dark chocolate. Decorate the cookie sticks with Christmas decor while the chocolate is wet for best results. For cookies tray use a serrated knife for slicing smaller bites. Recipe was inspired by A Family Feast website.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 9- 12 cookie sticks 1x
- Category: Christmas Cookies
- Method: Semi-Homemade
- Cuisine: Cookies
18–24 Sugar Wafer Cookies- purchased – amount is determined by package you purchase.
1/4 cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread
Christmas Decor- or Sprinkles of choice to garnish
- Separate sugar wafer cookies from package. Cookies are 1″ wide by 3- 1/4″ long and very fragile. Refrigerate separated cookies for 10 minutes before spreading with nutella.
- Spread a thin layer of Nutella between two cookies and press together. Chill cookies 15-20 minutes.
- Melt chocolate over double boiler or microwave a few wafers at at time in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 15-20 seconds at a time stir to melt.
- Dip cookies in chocolate coating the bottom and sides of cookies. Place on wax paper to set. When chocolate is set/hardened, dip top of cookies in chocolate.
- Decorate tops of cookies with Christmas sprinkles or decor while chocolate is wet.
- White Chocolate candy wafers can be substituted or make both for great options.
- Using a double boiler is easy. If you don’t have one, just take a medium saucepan filled with water, bring to a boil, remove from heat. Place small bowl of candy wafers/melts over the steaming water. Do not allow water to touch the chocolate, it will seize and destroy melting properties. Stir until chocolate is smooth. Reheat water to keep chocolates melted.
- Do not store cookies in refrigerator due to chocolate.
- Will last up to 5 days.
You might like these other ideas too!