Whether hosting a fall harvest party or needing a fall treat this Giant Pumpkin Cookie will be your favorite. These cookies are so cute frosted like pretty pumpkins. On hand pantry ingredients make this cookie a quick fix. Ingredients such as pure pumpkin puree, oats, vegetable oil, flour, baking soda, brown sugar, butter, fall spices, mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans . make these cookie moist and delicious. Frosting these cookies with bright orange & green buttercream makes these cookies extra special. Cookies can be made ahead and frozen without frosting so be sure to bake a double batch!
Easy Make Ahead Cookies
Pumpkin Puree is secret ingredient to moist cookies.
Pumpkin puree and not the pumpkin pie filling makes these cookies very moist and tender.
Heres a tip; if you want to cook the pumpkin in a saucepan before adding to cookie dough will help dry up the puree a bit and deepen the pumpkin flavor. You will cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, allow to cool before adding to cookie dough. You can also add your fall spices to the warm pumpkin if desired.
Tip # 2: Toast your pecans or nuts before adding to cookie dough. The flavor will make these cookies over the top delicious!
How to Make these Giant Pumpkin Cookies
Gather your baking supplies and ingredients. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
In medium sized bowl, add dry ingredients, flour, oats, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. Cream together butter and oil in a bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add brown and granulated sugar, beat until smooth and creamy. Next, add pumpkin puree, egg and vanilla. Beat to mix.
Add dry ingredients, flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt to pumpkin batter. Slowly stir to blend, then hand stir in mini chocolate chips.
Tip: You can use mini or regular sized chocolate chips, for variety you could also use peanut butter chips or butterscotch.
How to Shape the Cookies
Using a 1/4 measuring cup or large ice cream scoop. Scoop dough into rounds. Place on baking sheets and with floured fingers, flatten dough scoops into a pumpkin shape. Form a stem with additional piece of cookie dough.
Bake cookies for 20-25 minutes or until slightly browned. These are very soft cookies so allow the cookies to cool completely before removing from baking pans.
When cookies are completely cool, Frost and decorate as desired. Store in air tight container. I used canned buttercream frosting, tinted orange and green with food gel. Also piped the green leaf’s with small leaf piping tip # 67. One note; to make the grooves in the orange frosting that resemble pumpkin lines, use a small off set spatula or small flat knife.
Ok Heres the Recipe! Let me know how many times you bake these cookies. xo LizPrint
Giant Pumpkin Cookies with Frosting
This pumpkin filled recipe can be dressed up or dressed down frosted and decorated by kids or elegantly frosted, large or small these cookies are perfect for Fall Harvest Parties.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-22 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 20 large or 22 small cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert-Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
2 cups quick or old fashion oats
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
34 cup vegetable oil
2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can (16 ounce) Libby’s Solid Pack Pumpkin
1 cup mini chocolate morsels
Orange Buttercream Frosting
2 cans vanilla buttercream frosting tinted with orange & green food gel.
Of make your own.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- Combine flour, oats, soda, cinnamon and salt in medium sized bowl. set aside.
- Cream butter and oil together until blended. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar, Beat until smooth and creamy. Add pumpkin. Beat to blend.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Beat to mix.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Dough will be soft. If it is too soft add 1/4 cup all purpose flour. Add mini chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup or large ice cream scoop. Scoop dough into rounds. Place on baking sheet and with floured fingers, flatten out dough into a pumpkin shape. Form a stem with an additional piece of cookie dough.
- Bake cookies for 20-25 minutes until slightly browned. Rotate baking pans in oven for even baking.
- When cookies are completely cool, Frost and decorate as desired. Store in air tight container.
Tint one & half cans of buttercream frosting with orange food gel. Tint remaining 1/2 can of frosting with leaf green food gel. Fill disposable piping bag fitted with leaf tip # 67 with tinted green frosting. After spreading orange buttercream over the cookie, pipe green leaves. With small flat edge off set spatula form grooves in orange buttercream to resemble pumpkin lines.
- Assorted candies to decorate pumpkin face or frost with orange butter cream frosting. Attach candies with peanut butter or frosting.
Keywords: pumpkin cookies, frosted pumpkin cookies
To see more Harvest Party ideas click here.