Make a Chocolate Almond Brownie Cake for an easy dessert! Best part it is gluten free, even if you are not trying to eat gluten free this moist brownie type cake will satisfy every sweet tooth. Ground almond flour, chopped semi sweet and unsweet chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs make this cake moist, rich with a fudge like crumb.
Because easy desserts are sometimes the best, this recipe takes moments to make and bake. One food processor is all you need to mix up the batter. No need for a mixer, the food processor makes is super simple to blend together.
How to make this cake
In a food processor, almond flour is added along with chopped semi sweet and unsweetened baking chocolate. I used Bakers brand, but Ghirardelli 70% chocolate would give you a stronger chocolate flavor and not overly sweet. Dark brown sugar and vanilla adds to the sweetness and enhances the flavor of this brownie, 5 eggs plus 1 egg yolk is the leavening for this cake. All mixed in the bowl of a food processor with steel blade.
Tip: Toast the almond flour in the oven for a nutter flavor, but it’s not necessary. Be sure to watch the flour so it doesn’t over brown.
Tip: Chop chocolate in small pieces to blend in processor with almond flour. The flour is already fine, so you will process the chocolate first then add the flour and brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Salt is also added at the end of the recipe.
What makes this gluten free?
Almonds instead of flour makes this gluten free. If you don’t have almond flour, you can use sliced almonds in the same amount, 2- 1/2 cups. Toasting the almonds is recommended before adding to processor. Eggs are not considered dairy so this recipe is also dairy free. Yahoo!
Super Easy Recipe. Let me know if you make it. This recipe was inspired by Pretty Simple Sweet and Milk Street.Print
Gluten Free Chocolate Almond Brownie Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8" cake or 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
2 cups almond flour
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
6 ounces Bakers semi sweet baking chocolate, chopped
2 ounces Bakers unsweet baking chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons almond extract
5 eggs + 1 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sliced almonds as garnish
Optional: Fresh Whipped Cream or French Vanilla Ice Cream as side garnish.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray with cooking spray sides and bottom of 8″ round baking pan. Line with parchment round, lightly spray this round with cooking spray. Set aside.
- On baking sheet spread out almond flour and toast in oven for 15 minutes. Watch closely as not to burn. Stir flour occasionally to lightly brown. ( Browning or toasting flour is optional but will enhance almond flavor)
- In bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade, add chocolate pieces, process 30 seconds, add toasted almond flour, salt, brown sugar, almond extract and eggs/yolk.
- Process until smooth and creamy. Pour batter into parchment lined baking pan.
- Sprinkle reserved sliced almonds over the top of the raw cake batter. Making sure almonds are flat on top of cake, avoid small crumbs of almonds only use semi and whole slices.
- Bake at 325 for 35 minutes. Center of cake will be a bit wet when you insert a toothpick but that is perfect. Remove from oven, allow cake to cool before cutting and serving. Cake will continue to bake and set up as it cools.
- Serve in small slices with whipped cream or French vanilla ice cream if desired.
- When baking chocolate cakes, it’s hard to tell if they are done. If you insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and it comes out clean, the cake will probably be very dry. You will want a bit of crumbs on your toothpick for the right texture of baking chocolate cakes.
Other Ideas you might like to try: