From Spa shaped cookies to red high heels this butter cookie recipe will not spread while baking. 3 ” Red High Heel Butter Cookies were baked and frosted with bright red Royal Icing-Meringue Powder Buttercream.
Red High Heel Butter Cookie Recipe
Butter cookie dough will not spread when baking. The shape you cut the cookie will be the shape it bakes.
- Yield: 8 dozen- 3" cookies 1x
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder-tested Rumford
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups butter (4 sticks)-not margarine-tested: Land o Lakes salted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- With a stand mixer prepare cookie dough, cream sugar and butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and flavoring.
- Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and add to butter mixture. Mix well.
- Divide dough in half and place between two sheets of parchment paper to roll into desired thickness, 1/8 to 1/2″. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Put the rolled dough including the parchment paper on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes or longer. Your dough will be chilled and ready to cut and bake with no wait and no added flour! Repeat the process with scraps after cutting cookies.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on rack.
Royal Icing-Meringue Powder Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Great flavored royal icing frosting. It dries like sets like royal icing, but acts like a buttercream. Use clear vanilla if you want pure white frosting. Creme Bouquet a concentrated flavoring is a great choice for flavoring.
- Yield: 3 cups frosting 1x
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 to 4 T. meringue powder (more for humid climates)
- ½ cup Crisco shortening (can cut this down in humid climates)
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar (1 lb. 3 oz. If you have a scale)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want a pure white icing)
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 3–5 drops Super Red Gel Food Color
- Place half of the powdered sugar and the meringue powder in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk together well.
- Turn on mixer (use whip attachment) and, while motor is running, slowly stream in the water.
- Mix until everything is incorporated. Turn mixer to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add flavorings, coloring and mix well. Change to paddle attachment for stand mixer.
- If using a hand mixer, use the same beaters you were using before. Add remaining powdered sugar and shortening and whip for 2-3 minutes more.