Need a hearty bread to go with your creamy soup? Create these cute made-from-scratch home-made edible bread bowls to hold your creamy soup. Is it a bowl or is it a bread? No matter what you want to call it, your family and friends will love sipping soup from this bowl.
Nevertheless, hollowed baked bread rounds are toasted and filled with creamy soups. Once you finish sipping the soup, eat the bowl!
How to Make the Edible Bread Bowl
Simple pantry ingredients make this recipe quick and easy to put together. In a large mixing bowl add flour, rapid rise dry yeast and salt. Heat 2 cups water in microwave safe cup to 115-120 degrees, add honey, vegetable oil, stir to blend. Add to flour mixture. With a dough whisk, mix batter, cover bowl with towel for 5 minutes to allow yeast and flour to rest.
Mixing dry ingredients with wet ingredients
Place the sticky dough into a stand mixing bowl with dough hook attachment. Beat dough until it leaves the sides of bowl. Try not to add any additional flour, however, if the dough won’t come together, add a tablespoon of flour and mix until dough leaves the sides of the mixing bowl.
Working on a floured work surface shape dough into a large round. Knead dough for additional 5 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap or tea towel to rise until double in size.
Once it rises, punch down the dough and on floured surface cut dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll dough into round ball, but do not flatten. Place balls on parchment lined baking sheet and cover with tea towel or place in warming drawer to rise 30 minutes but no longer.
Tip: if you allow the dough balls to rise longer than 30 minutes they will not rise correctly into the soup bowl.
Brush risen rolls with egg wash and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Cutting the baked bread roll
After rolls are baked, cut a 1/2″ slice off the top of each roll and scooped out inside bread, leaving an 1 ” edge around the opening rim to keep the soup inside the bowl. See photo below.
Toasting the bowl
will create a barrier for soup to stay in the bowl. You will want to serve this bowl with soup immediately. To toast, place hollowed bowl on baking sheet and bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes. Brush with olive oil if desired before and after baking.
It’s easy to put together and very good. Not only that it is fun to eat. Your family and friends will love this hearty soup bowl. Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup fills this bread bowl but any hearty thick soup will be perfect for these bowls.
Easy Soup Bowl RecipePrint
Made from Scratch Home Made Bread Bowls
Bake and Fill this bread bowl with creamy chowders and bisques for best results. 5 ingredients, yeast, flour, olive oil, honey and salt makes this easy to stir up and bake. Hollow out baked bowls and fill with soup.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes, rise time-one hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 3 minute
- Yield: 6 -8" bread bowls 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
6 –1/2 to 7 cups bread flour
2 packages Rapid Rise Yeast
2 cups water, 115-120 degrees
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey or sugar
1–3/4 teaspoon sea salt
Making the Bread
- In mixing bowl, add one cup flour, dry yeast and salt.
- In glass microwaveable dish or cup, microwave 2 cups water to 115-120 degrees.
- Add honey and olive oil to warmed water, stir, then add to flour and yeast.
- Mix together with bread dough whisk, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer mix to stand mixer with bread dough hook, add remaining flour in increments until the dough is mixed and forms a ball inside the mixing bowl.
- The dough will leave the sides of the bowl when you dough is ready to allow to rise.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl, on lightly floured surface gently knead the dough for 5 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with tea towel or put in warming drawer until dough doubles in height.
Heat Oven to 400.
- Preheat over to 400 F. ( you need time for your oven to get hot)
- Punch down dough and cut dough into 6 equal sections. Shape the dough into balls, do not flatten. Place on a parchment lined or lightly greased baking sheet, cover and let rise in a warm place 30 minutes. ( do not allow the bowls to rise longer than 30-45 minutes, they will over rise and not work well).
- Brush rolls with egg wash, make a couple of shallow slits across top of each round with sharp knife. Brush with more egg wash.
- Bake 15 minutes or until tops are golden and bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Serving the Soup
- When ready to serve the soup, cut off 1/2″ from top of each roll, hollow out center leaving a 1″ edge around the new bread bowl. Toast bowl if desired.
- To toast, brush inside the bowl with olive oil and place in 400 degree oven for 5-8 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Fill bowl with creamy hearty soups and serve immediately.
You can mix the dough and place in refrigerator for up to 2 days if you want to make them ahead. To do this, bring the dough to room temperature and shape into rolls, allow to rise and bake as directed.
Hope you will try this recipe. It is fun to make and eat. xo Liz