Whether baking for a group or for your family be sure to make Mini Poinsettia Butter Cookies for your Christmas cookie tray! These cute little cookies will make your tray shine and bring big smiles. Mini Poinsettia Butter Cookie Recipe, decorated like a poinsettia with red, green and yellow buttercream frosting. The 1″ snowflake cookie cutter is the perfect shape to represent a poinsettia flower. Further more these cookies make a lovely food gift for family and friends.
What makes this cookie work? Cornstarch. Cornstarch is added to the cake flour to help with structure and tenderness of cookie. The dough is roll and cut using simple ingredients, butter, sugar, salt, egg yolk, heavy cream, vanilla and cake flour. You will love this sweet little cookie, not only is it pretty to look at it tastes great too.
Because the cookie dough needs to be chilled plan on two hours before rolling out. Use a sharp edged cookie cutter to cut out the shapes for best results.
How to Decorate the Poinsettia Cookies
After baking the cookies, make your buttercream frosting in two colors, red and green. Pipe the leaves first on the points of the snowflake, then pipe the red flower petals. If you don’t have tiny yellow candies/decor, tint frosting yellow and pipe the dots in the center o the cookies for the stamen.
Poinsettia Cookie Recipe
Cookies can be frozen before frosting for up to 2 months. Note: Make the frosting one day ahead and refrigerate so the colors will intensify. If you don’t want to make your own frosting, ask local bakery to sell the frosting colors you want. Most chain store bakeries will sell you a small amount.
Cookies will vary in amount depending on the size of snowflake cookie cutter you use.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes+ 30 minute chill
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Total Time: 65 minutes + decorating
- Yield: 24 small cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert-Christmas
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Butter Cookie Recipe
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 +1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla or creme bouquet flavoring
1 cup cake flour + 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
Butter Cream Frosting Recipe
1/4 cup butter- softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon half and half
1 teaspoon crème bouquet or vanilla extract
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
Americolor, Lemon Yellow- 1 -2 drops
Americolor, Leaf Green- 2-3 drops
Americolor- soft pink 3 drops first, then add 3-5 drops of Super Red
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, cream and vanilla. Mix to blend.
- Sift flour with cornstarch, fold into butter mixture until flour is blended.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl, shape into a flat disk, wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4″ thickness. Using 1 ” snowflake cookie cutter, cut out shapes. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake cookies 12-15 minutes, making sure not to over brown cookies.
- Remove from oven, let cookies rest 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack.
- When cookies are fully cooled frost like poinsettias.
- Cream together the butter and vegetable shortening.
- Add in half & half, crème bouquet or vanilla and ¼ cup powdered sugar.
- Beat until creamy add remaining confectioner’s sugar
- Separate frosting into three bowls with ¼ cup frosting in one( for yellow centers) and the remaining frosting divided in half , tint one half with leaf green and the remaining half with soft pink and super red.
Stir to combine using separate spoons.
Cover frosting bowls with plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature over night to deepen the colors.
Fill red frosting in disposable decorating bag fitted with large leaf tip # 366.
Fill green frosting in disposable decorating bag fitted with small leaf tip #352.
Fill yellow frosting in disposable decorating bag with small clip off end of bag, no tip necessary. You can also use yellow decorating icing sugars for the center stamen.
Pipe green frosting on long points of snowflake cookie, pipe red frosting over remaining points forming 5 long poinsettia leaves, add yellow dots to center of cookie for the stamen.
Poinsettia design inspired by Crouton Crackerjack. Cookies can be frozen before decorated up to 30 days.
24 small-baked cut-out butter cookies- (1 ” snowflake cutter)
2 cups butter cream frosting- Americolor -gel color
Decorating leaf tip- large #366 for poinsettia leaves- small #352 green leaves
Keywords: #cookies #butter #poinsettia #Christmas
Other Ideas you might like to try: