These cookies are small snowflake shaped cookies, decorated like a poinsettia with red, green and yellow buttercream frosting. The 1″ snowflake cookie cutter is the perfect shape to represent a poinsettia flower. Further more these cookies make a lovely food gift for family and friends.
Poinsettia Cookie Recipe
Cookies can be frozen before frosting for up to 2 months. Note: Make the frosting one day ahead and refrigerate so the colors will intensify. If you don’t want to make your own frosting, ask local bakery to sell the frosting colors you want. Most chain store bakeries will sell you a small amount.
Cookies will vary in amount depending on the size of snowflake cookie cutter you use.
- Yield: 24 small cookies 1x
Butter Cookie Recipe
24 small-baked cut-out butter cookies- (1 ” snowflake cutter)
2 cups butter cream frosting- Americolor -gel color
Decorating leaf tip- large #366 for poinsettia leaves- small #352 green leaves
Butter Cream Frosting Recipe
1/4 cup butter- softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon half and half
1 teaspoon crème bouquet extract
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
Americolor, Lemon Yellow- 1 -2 drops
Americolor, Leaf Green- 2-3 drops
Americolor- soft pink 3 drops first, then add 3-5 drops of Super Red
- Cream together the butter and vegetable shortening.
- Add in half & half, crème bouquet or vanilla and ¼ cup powdered sugar.
- Beat until creamy add remaining confectioner’s sugar
- Separate frosting into three bowls with ¼ cup frosting in one( for yellow centers) and the remaining frosting divided in half , tint one half with leaf green and the remaining half with soft pink and super red.
Stir to combine using separate spoons.
Cover frosting bowls with plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature over night to deepen the colors.
Fill red frosting in disposable decorating bag fitted with large leaf tip # 366.
Fill green frosting in disposable decorating bag fitted with small leaf tip #352.
Fill yellow frosting in disposable decorating bag with small clip off end of bag, no tip necessary. You can also use yellow decorating icing sugars for the center stamen.
Pipe green frosting on long points of snowflake cookie, pipe red frosting over remaining points forming 5 long poinsettia leaves, add yellow dots to center of cookie for the stamen.
Recipe Cookie design adapted from Crouton Crackerjack.
Successful Tips| Butter Cookie Ingredients
- To make great cookies, use good ingredients such as real butter and not margarine for this recipe.
- Good Flavor is important: Flavor the cookie with creme bouquet extract. or pure vanilla extract. Creme bouquet is a concentrated flavor that tastes like lemon, orange and almond all mixed together.
- For tender cookies: mix the cookie dough gently until it barely forms a ball in the mixer, then shape the dough with your hands and wrap in plastic wrap.
- How to roll the dough: Chill the dough for 15-30 minutes before rolling out. You can roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, place on a baking sheet then chill dough before cutting out shapes. If you have room in your refrigerator to do that technique it does safe time, but it is optional.
- Bake in preheated oven. Place baking rack in the middle of the oven. For best results and a bit faster baking time use a convection oven for baking cookies. Not mandatory, but makes breads and cookies bake evenly.