Someone say a cheese appetizer looks like mini pie slices? Create a tray of mini Pumpkin Pie looking cheese appetizers for fall entertaining. Pie shaped crust are pita crackers with “pie filling” as cheese slices. Piped cream cheese garnishes the mini pies as whipped cream. These are easy to make and so cute. For best results make these two hours before the party and cover with plastic wrap to chill in refrigerator until serving time. At the last minute add the whipped cream to center of pies. Fig spread makes the pecan looking pies.
Whether you are serving these for Thanksgiving dinner or open house parties everyone will love these cute little savory bites. They are easy as pie to serve.
While making these appetizers, I discovered that spreading softened cream cheese on the base cracker then adding the cheese makes the cheese stay in place as the “filling”. Attaching the chicken-in- a- biscuit cracker with the cream cheese keeps the mock pie together. I carefully cut the cracker in half to make it appear as a true pie crust. However, if you want to use the entire cracker, you will need to add a thicker layer of cream cheese or cheese slice.
You can use any flat cracker for the “pie crust” but to make it more crust like find a cracker edge that is crimped or wavy. As mentioned I used Chicken n Biscuit for the crust edge and pita crackers for the base. The pita cracker is shaped like a pie triangle which makes the creation easier to make.
Fig Jam Makes Pecan Pies
Fig jam makes the best filling for the mock pecan pie slice. It is thick and will stay on top of the cream cheese spread underneath. Chopped toasted pecans make the tiny tizer look like a pecan pie slice.
Cheddar Cheese Slice Makes the Perfect Mock Pumpkin Pie Appetizer
Whether serving on a small plate or large round tray, these cute little appetizers will be the hit of the party.
5 Ingredients to Make Mini Pies
Cheddar cheese slices
Whipped Cream Cheese
Pita and Chicken n Biscuit Crackers or skinny bread sticksPrint
Mock “Pumpkin Pie” Cheese Appetizer Recipe
Simple ingredients make mini mock pumpkin and pecan pies as dressed up cheese and fig appetizers.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: none
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 20 mini pie appetizers 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Assembly
- Cuisine: American
1– 8 ounce package or container of Whipped Cream Cheese, softened
20 Pita Crackers- tested Town House
20 Chicken & Biscuit crackers or 5–7 skinny bread sticks tested Alessi-Thin-Breadsticks
10 thin sliced cheddar cheese slices
1 jar fig jam tested Dalmatia Fig Spread- about 1 teaspoon per cracker
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped or diced
- Spread whipped cream cheese onto each pita cracker, generous portion but not overflowing edges of cracker.
- Using pita cracker as a pattern cut cheddar cheese triangle, attach to cream cheese on cracker.
- Spread light layer of cream cheese on chicken biscuit cracker lower half and attach to pie. Or if using bread stick cracker, spread cream cheese on back side of stick and lay on top of pies widest angle to form a rolled crust. You will cut the bread sticks into small pieces to fit the size of the pie to form the crust.
- To make pecan pie, spread cream cheese over pita cracker, generous portion cover with thick fig jam, sprinkle with diced pecans. Add crust using chicken & biscuit cracker or skinny bread stick as mentioned above.
- Fill pastry bag fitted with small star tip and pipe cream cheese over pie to mimic whipped cream.
- Serve immediately for best results.
Recipe was inspired by Home is where the boat is and other Bloggers.
Other Ideas you might like to try:
How to make a Turkey Napkin Fold