Skillet Caramel Apple Pie will be your families favorite fall pie. With a dash of cinnamon or a sprinkle of sugar, the apple is the favored fruit for fall. Would you like to smell the aroma of nutmeg, cinnamon and apples baking in your kitchen? . If you don’t have a cast iron skillet take a look at this cast iron pie plate.
A rich caramel sauce is heated in the base of a cast iron skillet before the pie crust and filling is added. Caramel sauce is made from dark brown sugar, real fresh butter and a little bit of corn syrup.. Baking in a cast iron skillet makes the pie crust even more flakey and the filling richer..
Skillet Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
A rich caramel sauce is in the bottom of the cast iron skillet or pie plate, then pie crust is placed over the sauce, followed by apple pie filling and top crust. The pie is delicious served with French Vanilla Ice Cream or Cinnamon Ice Cream.
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
5 medium granny smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 unbaked pie crusts*
8 tablespoons butter- divided
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed, light or dark
2 teaspoons corn syrup
1 cup chopped walnuts-optional
1 teaspoon sea salt-divided
*tested Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
- In 10 “ cast iron skillet, over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Stir caramel mixture together until smooth and bubbly around the edges of the skillet.
- Add walnuts stir to combine. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add apples, flour, sugar, and spices, mix to coat apples.
- Unroll one crust and place on top of caramel –walnut mixture in skillet. Pushing the crust up the sides of the skillet.
- Add coated apples and 2 tablespoons of butter diced into small pieces.
- Unroll remaining crust and place over the apple pie filing.
- Pinch and crimp both crust edges together.
- Brush top of crust with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake pie on a parchment lined baking sheet for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce if desired.
If you don’w own a cast iron skillet, take a look at this cast iron pie pan. You will love it.
Here’s a tip to remove wax from apples
Boil water in a saucepan and place entire apple in the water for 60 seconds. Remove apple and the wax will have melted off. If the wax isn’t completely gone, try again. Just make sure you don’t overheat your apples.
Caramel Apple Pie Quick Easy Steps
Melt butter and brown sugar until smooth and slightly bubbling. Remove from heat and allow to cool before placing raw pie crust in skillet.
At this point if you want to add chopped walnuts or pecans to the caramel sauce you can, it does make the pie even more crunchy and super delicious.
Prepare pie filling. Add flour, granulated sugar and spices. Toss apples to coat and set aside. Caramel sauce is under the crust. Allow caramel to cool before adding crust.
After the caramel sauce has cooled, place the pie crust over the top and up the sides of the skillet.
Place coated apples in crust. Dot with butter cubes and sprinkle with salt over the apples. Add second pie crust over filling.
Cover filling with second pie crust and crimp edges together. Brush pie crust with egg wash and sparkling sugar. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes or until apple filling bubbles on the top. The first 35 minutes you will need to cover the crust with foil so the edges do not burn. Remove foil and continue baking to brown the top.
TaDa! Your Caramel Apple Pie is now ready to eat! Add a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream and you are good to go! Let me know if you make one or two.
Make a Statement, Make is Sassy and Make it Yours! ®