Need a 15 minute refreshing dessert? Make this quick and easy Strawberry Cake Roll recipe for summer entertaining. Make it Patriotic with fresh blueberries and serve on the 4th of July. Get recipe now!
Strawberry Cake Roll Recipe
Sponge cake baking time is 12-15 minutes. To speed up the process, while cake is baking, whip up whipped cream and slice /dice the strawberries. Strawberry slices are up to you, smaller pieces will help the cake roll easier. Save a few large/pretty berries for garnish slices.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-1" slices 1x
- Category: Dessert- Sponge Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
3 eggs-room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon extract
¾ cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup confectioner’s sugar sprinkled on a tea towel
½ cup chilled heavy whipping cream, whipped
1 pint fresh strawberries*, hulled and washed, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15 ½ “ x 10 ½” x 2 “ baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray both sides of paper with cooking spray.
- Place a tea towel on counter, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs on high speed until thick about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in sugar to egg mixture.
- On low speed add water and extract.Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture.Mix gently to blend, do not beat.
- Pour batter into prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 375, 12-15 minutes or until center is done.
- Immediately loosen cake edges with a knife, invert onto prepared tea towel. Remove parchment paper. Roll hot cake from narrow end including the tea towel into a roll. Let cool.
- Unroll cake, remove towel, roll up and wrap in plastic and refrigerate
- Unroll and fill with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Roll up the cake like a jelly roll. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
- Before Serving, sprinkle top of cake with confectioner’s sugar and additional strawberries. Add blueberries if desired for festive 4th of July dessert
- To serve: Sprinkle cake with sifted confectioner’s sugar, garnish with whipped cream dollops and sliced strawberries. Slice roll as desired. Add blueberries for a patriot dessert.
- Use piping tip 1 M for decorative whipped cream dollops.
- Select firm berries for this cake roll.
- Bake the sponge cake roll up and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw completely before filling with whipped cream. Do not freeze with whipped cream filling. Filling and berries will have an uneven consistency and not look pretty.
- Great summer dessert to make and take for all events.
Keywords: Dessert, Strawberry Cake Roll, Recipe
Other recipes you might like to try:
Strawberry Mini Pies for Stars n Stripe look. Pies are baked in jar lids.