Need a quick recipe for fall, try this Apple Dumpling Pastry Recipe. Puff pastry strips wrapped around a 3 minute microwaved whole peeled cored apple filled with brown sugar, cinnamon, currents and chopped pecans. It is so delicious your family and friends will love it. Serve caramel sauce or French Vanilla Ice Cream on the side.
The pastry is purchased puff pastry found in the freezer section. Easy to thaw at room temperature and cut into strips. I used golden delicious apples, but you could use gala or your favorite apple. Granny Smith is a good baking apple but in this case it will turn to mush after baking and not a good apple for this recipe.
Here’s the Steps for Making this Dessert
Preheat oven to 375 F. and prepare your baking pan. Lightly spray a 9 x 13” baking pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside while you peel and core the apples. When coring the apple, the center seeds and core is removed but do not core all the way through. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll peeled and cored apples in mixture. Place the apple on microwave safe plate and microwave 3 minutes on high. Remove apple from microwave and roll again in mixture. Add to remaining cinnamon sugar combination, chopped toasted pecans and currents. Fill core of apples with sugar nut mixture.
Tip: Melt butter in microwave and drizzle over apples. Place in freezer for 5-7 minutes before wrapping pastry around apples.
Unfold room temperature pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll pastry into a 10 x 9″ rectangle. Cut pastry into 9- 1″ x 10″ strips. Press the ends of 2 pastry strips together to make one -1″ x 20″ strip. Repeat with 6 remaining pastry strips.
Cut 8 small leaf shapes from leftover pastry pieces.
How to Wrap the Apples?
Starting at the bottom of the apple, wind 1 pastry strip around the apple slightly overlapping the edges of the pastry. Repeat with remaining apples and strips.
Finish the apple with a 1/2″ cinnamon stick, insert into top of apple covered pastry. Whisk together egg and water for egg wash. Brush the pastry with wash. Place pastries on baking sheet and bake 25-30 minutes until pastries are golden brown.
What are currents?
“Currants, also known as “Zante currants,” are tiny, dried grapes.” They are seedless and very small. They make great bite size style raisins for scones and other desserts. Check out this video from Daytime Blue Ridge.
How To Make this Dessert
Impressive Dessert You’re Family and Friends will Love!Print
Apple Dumpling Pastry Recipe
Easy to make wrapped apple. Golden Delicious of other sweet baking apple will make the best pastry. Microwaving the apple for a few seconds will pre bake the apple ensuring that after it is wrapped it will bake fully done.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 -60 minutes
- Yield: 4 apple pastries 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
½ package-17.3 ounce package Puff Pastry Sheets-thawed
4 Golden Delicious Apples- peeled & partially cored
1-cup light brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup pecans, chopped fine
¼ cup currents, optional
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
Garnish: Cinnamon Vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 9 x 13” baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Peel and partially core apples, leave bottom of inside core of apple intact.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll peeled apple in sugar mixture.
- Place on microwave safe plate and microwave for 3 minutes on high.
- Remove from microwave and roll apple in mixture again.
- Add to remaining sugar cinnamon mixture chopped pecans & currents.
- Fill core of apples with pecan sugar mixture.
- Drizzle apples with melted butter.
- Place in freezer for 5 -7 minutes before wrapping with pastry.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the pastry sheet into a 10×9-inch rectangle.
- Cut into 9 (1×10-inch) strips. Press the ends of 2 pastry strips together to make 1 (1×20-inch) strip. Repeat with 6 of the remaining pastry strips.
- Cut 8 leaf shapes and stems from the last pastry strip.
- Starting at the bottom of the apple, wind 1 pastry strip around 1 apple, slightly overlapping the edges of the pastry.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry strips and apples.
- Garnish each apple with 2 pastry leaves and stem.
- Whisk together egg and water for egg wash. Brush the pastries with the egg wash
- Place the pastries on baking sheet.
- Bake 25 -30 minutes until pastries are golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream and caramel sauce.
Recipe was inspired and adapted from Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry.
Keywords: Apple Dumpling Pastry Recipe