Puff pastry strips wrapped around a 3 minute microwaved whole apple that has been peeled, cored and filled with brown sugar, cinnamon, currents and chopped pecans.
Apple Dumpling Pastry Recipe
Easy to make wrapped apple. Golden Delicious of other sweet baking apple will make the best pastry. Microwaving the apple for a few seconds will pre bake the apple ensuring that after it is wrapped it will bake fully done.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 -60 minutes
- Yield: 4 apple pastries 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
½ package-17.3 ounce package Puff Pastry Sheets-thawed
4 Golden Delicious Apples- peeled & partially cored
1-cup light brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup pecans, chopped fine
¼ cup currents, optional
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
Garnish: Cinnamon Vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 9 x 13” baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Peel and partially core apples, leave bottom of inside core of apple intact.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll peeled apple in sugar mixture.
- Place on microwave safe plate and microwave for 3 minutes on high.
- Remove from microwave and roll apple in mixture again.
- Add to remaining sugar cinnamon mixture chopped pecans & currents.
- Fill core of apples with pecan sugar mixture.
- Drizzle apples with melted butter.
- Place in freezer for 5 -7 minutes before wrapping with pastry.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the pastry sheet into a 10×9-inch rectangle.
- Cut into 9 (1×10-inch) strips. Press the ends of 2 pastry strips together to make 1 (1×20-inch) strip. Repeat with 6 of the remaining pastry strips.
- Cut 8 leaf shapes and stems from the last pastry strip.
- Starting at the bottom of the apple, wind 1 pastry strip around 1 apple, slightly overlapping the edges of the pastry.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry strips and apples.
- Garnish each apple with 2 pastry leaves and stem.
- Whisk together egg and water for egg wash. Brush the pastries with the egg wash
- Place the pastries on baking sheet.
- Bake 25 -30 minutes until pastries are golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream and caramel sauce.
Recipe was inspired and adapted from Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry.
Keywords: Apple Dumpling Pastry Recipe
Other Ideas you might like to try: