Cross between a cake and brownie this Chocolate Orange Skillet Cake is rich, fudge filled cake with an orange flavor. Easy to mix and bake using pantry staples; it whips up in 20 minutes. Serve this cake in a mug or individual dishes for fun with vanilla ice cream or orange flavored fresh whipped cream. Sprinkle with chocolate jimmies for a fantastic quick chocolately dessert. Your family will love it and you will too. An Oven To Table Dessert!
How to Make Chocolate Caramel Skillet Cake
Ingredients from your pantry makes this easy and quick to mix together.
Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips or you can use Dark Chocolate Chips, semi sweet balances the sweetness of the caramel and richness of brownies.
Butter, I like to use salted real butter and not margarine, Land a Lakes or Kerry Gold has the best USA flavors in my humble opinion.
Eggs, at room temperature makes the batter thick and creamy and blends more easily.
Sugar, granulated is best, I use organic cane sugar.
Flour, Baking soda and Salt, the dry ingredient trio, baking soda for lift in cake. sea salt is great for full flavor, and there is no need to use cake flour, all purpose is all you will need. Have not tired almond of gluten free with this recipe. If you try it let me know your results.
Flavor with orange extract and tiny bit of vanilla extract.
Making this One Mixing Bowl Skillet Cake
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease skillet with butter and set aside. I like to cut 2 tablespoons of butter from a paper wrapped stick and use that to grease my cast iron skillet. Keeps your fingers clean, what ever you have left add to recipe. Generously butter your skillet.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, add butter and microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time until melted. Add chocolate chips, allow to sit 5 minutes before stirring. Stir until melted, if needed return to microwave a few seconds more, 30+ to melt chocolate.
3. Add sugar, egg and vanilla and whisk to combine. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl add flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
5. Transfer batter to a greased 10″ cast iron skillet and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out “almost clean”. Cake is best a little underdone. Serve with a big scoop of ice cream of choice.
Baked Brownie Serve with Fresh Whipped Cream flavored with Orange Extract
Cast Iron Skillet or Cake Pans
I have a 10″ Cast iron skillet I use for all kinds of baking, from biscuits to caramel apple pie. It is from lodge casting. I also have 8 mini 3.5″ skillets. They are adorable and so fun to serve individual corn bread or cobblers. This recipe can be made in a large skillet or individual mini’s. If you think you have too much batter for the skillet, use a small baking pan for remaining batter. I prefer using cast iron because cast iron heats evenly and bakes better. You can also bake this in a 9″ springform pan.
Serve this cake in individual dishes with fresh whipped cream and chocolate jimmies. Vanilla ice cream is also delish!Print
Chocolate Caramel Skillet Cake
Rich dark chocolate cake is a one bowl mix flavored with orange extract and baked in a skillet. The cake is fudgy and moist like a brownie, easy recipe for any meal. Serve with fresh whipped cream flavored with orange extract and chocolate jimmies.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Dessert-Easy
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
3 cups (480g) semi-sweet chocolate chips-divided
12 tbsp (180) butter of unsalted butter
1/2 cup (200 g) sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp (5 ml) of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) of sea salt or salt
Orange Flavored Whipped Cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, very chilled
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
Garnish: French Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream and or Sweetened Home Made Whipped Cream with chocolate chips or jimmies.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease skillet with butter and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add butter and microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time until melted. Add chocolate chips, allow to sit 5 minutes before stirring. Stir until melted, if needed return to microwave a few seconds more, 30+ to melt chocolate.
- Add sugars, eggs and vanilla and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add flour, salt and baking soda. Whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Transfer batter to a greased 10″ cast iron skillet and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out “almost clean”. Cake is best a little underdone. Serve with a big scoop of ice cream of choice.Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping.
Making Whipped Cream
In medium mixing bowl and hand held mixer with whisk attachment, whip chilled heavy cream until soft speaks, add confectioners sugar and extract, whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Store covered in refrigerator until ready to serve. Can be piped using a shell tip or tip #1M or dollops for decorative swirl.
Cake in skillet will be a bit underdone making it moist and dry.
You can also bake the cake in mini skillets or 9″ springform pan.
To Serve : Spoon a large spoonful of brownie in coffee mugs or individual bowls with ice cream or fresh whipped cream for a fun presentation, or place skillet in center of table and let everyone serve themselves.
Keywords: Skillet Brownies, Dark Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Ice Cream, Easy Dessert,