Whether it is raining outside or sunny, serving Cornmeal Muffin Pan Dinner Rolls for dinner will be a big hit. Ground yellow cornmeal, flour, yeast, butter, eggs, milk and vegetable oil make the perfect dinner roll. After mixing ingredients together in a stand mixer helps knead this sticky dough without adding too much flour. Dough is kneaded about 10 minutes then rolled into 12 balls and baked in a muffin pan after two rises.
Making Cornmeal Muffin Tips
Because I baked these rolls in a muffin tin I am calling them yeast bread muffins but they can easily be baked in a casserole dish of cast iron skillet. However, the yield will not be the same, for a 9 x 13 pan you will have 15 smaller rolls, for an 8 x 8 square you will have 9 and for muffin pan you will roll 12.
For this recipe, I used Hodgson Mill yellow corn meal. The meal is 100% stone ground and has a multigrain flavor and texture; which adds a tiny bit of crunch to the dinner rolls. This makes great cornbread too.
Be careful when proofing yeast, use warm water 105-110 degrees. Add sugar to the warm water stir then add the active dry or rapid rise yeast. They are interchangeable.
After mixing the dough, allow to rise about 45-60 minutes, punch down the dough and knead a couple of times on a lightly floured surface. Shape dough into a log about 12″ long, then cut into 12- 1″ pieces. Roll the pieces into round balls. Place the balls in a greased muffin tin and back to the warming drawer/oven to rise a second time about 20 minutes. I used cooking spray to coat the inside of the muffin pan wells.
Bake the rolls in a preheated 375 degree oven and bake 12-15 minutes. Cover rolls with foil to prevent tops from over browning. Remove from oven and coat with melted butter while warm.
Enjoy the dinner rolls. xoPrint
Cornmeal Muffin Pan Dinner Rolls
- Prep Time: 20 + 60 minute rise
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Total Time: 90 minutes
- Yield: 12 yeast dinner muffins 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
½ cup yellow cornmeal- tested Hodgson Mill
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 package dry yeast, rapid rise or traditional
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 egg, slightly beaten
- In mixing bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook, add dry ingredients. Flour, cornmeal, sugar, and yeast. Stir to mx.
- In small saucepan, add water plus 3 tablespoons butter. Heat over medium heat until temperature reaches 110-115 degrees. Remove from heat. Make sure water is not too warm.
- Add water to dry ingredients, add egg and salt. Beat on medium speed until dough leaves sides of mixing bowl.
- Place dough on floured bench, knead until smooth, form into a ball. Place dough in lightly greased mixing bowl, spray with cooking spray. Allow dough to rise in warm place for one hour or until double.
- Punch down dough and cut dough into 15 pieces. Roll each piece into a round ball. Place the balls in a greased muffin pan, 9 x 13 casserole dish or 8 x 8 square baking dish. Place baking dish in warm place to rise until double about 35-40 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes until rolls are golden and done. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and brush over warm rolls, sprinkle with raw cornmeal if desired.
You can knead your dough in the stand mixer for 10 minutes if case you don’t want to knead on a floured bench.
Keywords: #bread #muffins #recipes
Other Ideas you might like to try: