Need a quick cut out cute cookie? Try making these pumpkin shaped chocolate chip sugar cookies decorated with orange flavored buttercream, sprinkled with orange coarse sparkling sugar. Simple ingredients you will find in your food pantry, butter, flour, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, mini chocolate chips and one egg yolk. You might have to order the orange sparkling sugar or pick up at your local craft/baking store.
While there is no baking powder or baking soda in the mix, don’t be concerned about this for the cookies will bake flat for easy decorating. Another reason to love this cookie, easy to decorate.
Because these cookies are delicious and quick to make, you might want to double the recipe. You can bake ahead and store in freezer without frosting. Just thaw the amount needed and frost a couple of hours before serving.
Chilling the cut out cookies before baking will help keep the cookies from spreading too much. The cookies will spread about 1/8″ after baking.
What makes this recipe is the cuteness of the pumpkin cookie cutter. Of course you can use any shaped cookie cutter for this cut out sugar cookie.
Making this cookie takes 20 minutes with a 30 minute chill before rolling out.
It’s important to chill the dough so the butter will blend into the flour as well as hold it’s cut out shape during baking. Once you roll out the dough to 1/4″ thickness on a floured surface, cut out the shapes, then place on parchment lined baking sheet. You chill again, for at least 15-20 minutes to prevent the cookies from spreading too much during baking. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool before frosting.
How to Decorate the Cookies
After baking and cooling the cookies, spread orange buttercream over the base the of cookies. Orange food coloring gel was added to buttercream frosting along with a little bit of orange extract.
Using an off set spatula, coat the pumpkin shaped cookie, body only not the stem with the orange buttercream. It’s easier not to coat the stem with frosting but that is up to you.
After frosting the cookies dip in sparkling sugar. I found the orange sparkling sugar locally or online.
Take a toothpick and draw lines through the sugar to create pumpkin curves.
Here’s the Easy Recipe- Save this one! They are delicious and quick to make.Print
Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
Easy cut out sugar cookie recipe filled with mini chocolate chips. Frosted with orange buttercream and dipped in orange sparkling sugar. A toothpick draws the pumpkin lines.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes+ 60 minute chill
- Cook Time: 10-12
- Total Time: one hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 28-2" cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert- Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
2–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2–1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Frosting & Decorating Cookies
4 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
2–4 drops orange food gel- or as desired depth of color
1/2–1 cup orange sparkling sugar-separate bowl for dipping
- In mixing bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, cream butter and sugars together until creamy about 3 minutes. Add salt and beat to combine.
- Add egg yolk, and vanilla, beat until creamy.
- Add flour, beat to blend, then add mini chocolate chips.
- Divide dough in half, wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap, chill at least 30 minutes up to 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator, roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4″ thickness.
- Cut out pumpkin shapes or shapes as desired with cookie cutters. Place on parchment lined baking sheet, chill baking sheet at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After 20 minute chill, bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Remove from baking sheet after 5 minutes. Allow to cool before decorating.
- Place orange sparkling sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl with paddle attachment. Whip butter and confectioners sugar, add orange food gel and extract. Whip until smooth and creamy.
- Using off set spatula, frost base of pumpkin cookie smoothly.
- Dip frosted side of cookie in orange sparkling sugar.
- Using a toothpick, drag through sugar to create pumpkin lines on cookie.
- Set aside until sugar is set before storing and eating.
- No baking powder or baking soda in this cut out cookie.
- Recipe adapted from Karen’s cookies
Keywords: Pumpkin shaped cookies, pumpkin cookie cutter, orange sparkling sugar, chocolate, sugar cookies
Enjoy this quick and easy cookie. You will certainly impress your family and friends.
Other ideas you might like to try:
Pumpkin is baked inside this cookie. Cookies are very moist.
S’More Pumpkin Please Treats.
Pumpkin Hummus with Carrot Pumpkin Dippers -Appetizer
Harvest Party Treats